Thread: Epilog Legend 24TT X-axis diagnosis

Epilog Legend 24TT X-axis diagnosis

Having trouble with my x-axis sticking. I've cleaned the encoder strip, lubricated the slide and bearings, but it's still sticking. At this point I'm suspecting that it's a bad bearing in one of the belt guides. I made a video:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRWaLqHn..._web_copy_link

Thoughts?
    Laser Engraver: Epilog Legend 24TT 35-watt
    Lathe: Delta X5 46-746 - 3HP/220v, 16"x42"

Epilog suggested I drop the servo motor and see of the rest of the carriage moved smoothly or if I could sense drag in the motor. I did, and the carriage moves smoothly without the motor. I took the motor apart to see if it was one of the bearings, but it wasn't. The brushes were pretty grooved. I cleaned them and the communicator as best I could, re-assembled and re-installed it all. I was slightly worse. After running it in a bit by running a job with a bunch of circles (cover open) the brushes started to run in and improve. It's still pretty chunky. I think I'll run it in for a while longer but it looks like a new X-servo motor is in my future. I suppose for a 17 year old laser engraver, that's a normal 'wear and tear' replacement. I already replaced the Y-servo motor 2 years ago.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRWuUNEn..._web_copy_link

I doubt it will last long, but cleaning the brushes and communicator inside the motor seems to have resolved it for now. I still need to run it in for a while to be sure.

Most likely it needs a servo motor ASAP.

you may be using it, but I live & die by this stuff--
    crccleanr.jpg
    This stuff has brought back my GCC Explorer from the dead twice -in fact, I'm about due to run a pre-emptive strike; pull EVERY connector I can from the motherboard, all power supplies, and anything else with a plug connection.

This stuff is great too-
    crclecmotive.jpg
    --it's essentially dry-cleaning fluid but works great, totally non-conductive, you can spray powered-on parts with it. I actually spray the stuff right into the running Bodine motors on my engraving machines.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Well two years later the brushes inside my x-axis motor finally failed and crumbled to pieces. Unfortunately it doesn't appear that anyone carries a compatible replacement other than possibly new-old stock from Epilog. Anyone have any suggestions? The new owner of the original manufacturer is Ametek. I've contacted them but I'm not getting my hopes up.

PXL_20210715_160826879.jpg