Thread: Will this work as caul material?

Will this work as caul material?

I'm 81, this is my last project. I need some cauls for a 22" x 18" flat panel. I've raided my maple cauls to the point that there are none left (didn't anticipate this). I have an old piece of 8 quarter African Mahogany. Won't do me any good as we're moving by next year to a smaller place and I'm getting out of woodworking, yardwork and stairs. My thinking is: The panel isn't that big and 8 quarter Af. Mahogany is a pretty good size, it shouldn't give much. I'll bite the bullet and go to woodworkers and buy more maple if you all think the mahogany is too soft even if the panel isn't very big. I'm looking at what a 2" x 2" x 2.5' caul of it would make and I'm ready to use it. Caul expert input please.
    Real American Heros don't wear Capes, they wear Dogtags.

Outside of the pain of using such a fine piece of material for a simple caul, I don't see any issue functionally unless this is a situation where you might be applying an extreme amount of pressure that the maple would better handle. If you're worries about maring the surface of the mahogany, use it for the bulk and put a small, thin piece of hard scrap between it any any clamps to keep from marking it with the clamps. I'm sure there are many times that folks have pulled out a piece of "whatever really nice stuff they have" in the rack for simple utility...and there's no harm in that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Wow…if I lived closer I’d make you some nice new caulk and trade you for the mahogany! Best wishes on Your project!
    earl

Yea, I know it's kinda too nice but I sure won't be using it. Best it have at least some utility for me. Good idea about some thin scrap between it and the clamps
    Real American Heros don't wear Capes, they wear Dogtags.