Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Veritas skew rabbet sharpening challenges

One thing I just couldn't get my mind around is can I do this one set of jaws as above, or will I need two sets.

These two pics are the LN 30 degree jaws with the iron inserted from one side - note brass on left, and from the opposite side of the jaws - note brass on right. Notice in both pics the iron is bevel side down and logo side up. I am sure some of you knew that but i had to try it myself, because I wasn't sure.

20210716_223012[1].jpg20210716_223027[1].jpg

So when talking about bevel angles on skewed irons, is it customary to measure the bevel(s) perpendicular to the cutting edge, or parallel to the axis of the iron?

Looking at this iron with the 22 degree skew, it seems like the factory primary bevel is at about 30 degrees relative to the blade axis, but about 25 degrees perpendicular to the edge.

In practice I bet it doesn't make a lot of difference, but I would still like to use the terms correctly so as to avoid further confusion in the future.

I did check my copy of Leonard Lee's 'Complete Guide to Sharpening', followed every mention of skew in the index and still don't know. I will be settling in with appendix one, chip types later this evening - leading me (probably) to Mr Lee's recurring theme of "shallowest bevel angles possible consistent with good edge retention" most likely at the end of the evening.

Does anyone know what type or searchable name can be applied to these four screws? I know my local hardware stores don't have them, so I will have to internet search.

I can figure out the diameter, they are probably a #4 or #6 if they are not metric, and I can count the thread pitch, I just want to know what search terms to use to get the wonky thread pattern.

Thanks

20210804_191717[1].jpg

I did get my thing back today. Don't even ask for my machinist's phone number. At pick up I asked him (having plunked down for four hours of machine shop time in cash) how much he would want to make a mirror image set in case I order the left hand skew rabbet plane later. His response was first I would need to find a machine shop willing to do the work and ask them how much they want.

The shop that took my job makes mostly round things with cams and gears on them. And they robbed screws out of a jaw set to attach the new jaws to my guide.

I think this is going to work fine for me. There is a little problem with racking, or wracking (twist?) when the long side of the jaws has too small a grip on the wide part of the blade. About the shallowest secondary bevel I can make comes in at roughly 28-30 degrees depending on whether I measure perpendicular to the edge or parallel to the iron of the axis. About the steepest secondary bevel I can manage will be in the 34-36 degree range. My range for honing primary bevel starts around 18 degrees and goes up to the 24-27 degree range as above.

20210804_192903[1].jpg20210804_201508[1].jpg20210804_201550[1].jpg

My next step will be to go to the LV website and put a rabbet plane in backorder.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winners View Post
    Does anyone know what type or searchable name can be applied to these four screws? I know my local hardware stores don't have them, so I will have to internet search.

I can figure out the diameter, they are probably a #4 or #6 if they are not metric, and I can count the thread pitch, I just want to know what search terms to use to get the wonky thread pattern.

Thanks

20210804_191717[1].jpg
    Captive panel screws?
    captured screws | McMaster-Carr
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

And I am not done yet. Pics attached. The left side of the LV iron is 'wide' for a greater length than the right side of the iron is 'wide.' My custom jaws to fit the LV honing guide can grip the iron, but when I torque the guide down firmly enough to acutally hone the iron, the jaws or threaded rod flex, or the iron slips in the dovetails; and the edge is no longer in alignment with the axis of the honing guide. I can hone a 25 degree primary bevel no problem with the jaw set I have. All I have left to figure out is getting a secondary bevel at 30-35 degrees. The lateral adjustment screws for the iron in the plane body can only handle about half of the pictured error, and the iron isn't firmly grippd by the honing guide as pictured.

On the one hand she is pretty enough to deserve her very own sharpening guide, the one tool on the planet an LN honing guide "can't" handle. On the other hand I am now an irritated old fat guy from Alaska. I am leaving my factory new PMV11 iron unbesmirched until I get this worked out on the sacrificial O1 iron. When I expained to my wife this joinery plane is a she I got the one eyebrow of doom, but I saved it with "because she is so adjustable." Her name is going to be something like Miss Behavin, Miss Demeanor or Miss D themaintenance. The O1 iron works OK with a secondary bevel at 28 degrees in SPF, but I am not holding my breath for poplar and my stash of white oak is laughing quietly.

If Tom and Rob have an annual golf match on Saint Somewhere in the Caribbean I suggest Grenada this year, where the major domo at the yacht club can be counted on to make Pina Coladas with vanilla ice cream instead of coconut milk. The calaloo at the Med School canteen on the leeward beach near St George is fabulous. Be sure to ask the stewardess for a preview of the customs forms while inbound. My stash of River's Rum from St. Antoine is long depleted, but I had nothing to declare. Barely.

I plan to try wooden shim(s) to fatten up the narrow part of the iron over the weekend, and head back to a machine shop next week for some oompa loompas made out of 1035/1065.

Especially colorful, blasphemous, and offensive expletives deleted.

20211007_235314[1].jpg20211007_235335[1].jpg20211007_235354[1].jpg20211008_000151[1].jpg

Scott, I have a number of skew bladed planes, including this Veritas, which I have had since road-testing it before it was produced for sale. That is several years ago. Back then I hollow ground the bevel, which is actually easier to do than one imagines. To sharpen, I simply hone on the hollow grind, which acts as a guide. Easy peasy. I have yet to renew the hollow grind. It has lasted that long.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek's suggestion of grinding hollow and then freehand sharpening is a good one. Keep in mind that most woodworking projects ever created by humans were made with tools sharpened freehand – extreme precision in sharpening angle is generally not needed, IMHO (although I am sure there are some exceptions). I saved a lot of time when I stopped using a jig and went to freehand for most sharpening, with a coarse diamond plate and a jig when needed to reset the primary bevel.. If you don't have (or want to use) a grinder to put a hollow grind on it, you can just sharpen the primary bevel only – it'll take a bit longer than sharpening a secondary bevel, but it makes the sharpening extremely simple.

I actually would like that they expand on there eclipse style honing guide. I love the MKII system, but sometimes you just can't beat a side clamp. if they could add that as an add on to the MKII it would be the best of both worlds

Assaf, the Mk II does have a small blade accessory which is effectively a side clamp.

I do not know of any side clamping guides which can hold blades at variable angles. Only the MkII is capable of this. As I have written before, the MkII works perfectly when you do not expect it to do all the work. Think of it as an extension of your hand, holding the blade at the chosen angle. Your hand is still in control.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I got a message through the forum about a week ago, some anonymous guy asked for my addy so he could send me a guide to try. I decided to try it, sent my address, the guide came today and it is working good enough for me.

It is the Veritas "Short Blade Honing Guide", Lee Valley stock number 05M09.30 The one thing this guide cannot do is correct an iron whose skew is incorrect. Whatever skew you have when you start, you will still have when you are done.

But with that out of the way, the guide holds the iron well enough for me to get a pretty primary bevel at 25 degrees and a lovely secondary at 30 degrees. It is the only top clamping guide I have ever used, so I have no reference point, but I was super gentle with it on the stones, just letting the diamonds do the work and don't mash down hard enough to knock the iron out of alignment.

Currently shows available online at Lee Valley dot com for US$ 59.50.

I am going to try to keep the wear and tear on mine down to a minimum since it is the only good guide in the shop I have for the skew rabbet. I do have a tiny little block plane, a thumb plane I think, that I will probably try in this guide next time I have the guide out.

For the money this is an excellent solution to the skew rabbet iron challenge. The paperwork with it mentioned spokeshave irons as well, and there is more verbiage on the vendor website. Do be careful when you are using the 25 degree side of the guide to use the 25 degree side of the thickness gage, and when you flip the iron around for 30 degrees you need to flip the thickness gage to the 30 degree side also.

I owe somebody 60 bucks plus shipping, I am keeping this thing.

20211027_185129[1].jpg20211027_185149[1].jpg20211027_185213[1].jpg

Thanks for the review Scott. I just ordered a skew rabbet plane yesterday and will keep the sharpening jig in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by David Publicover View Post
    Thanks for the review Scott. I just ordered a skew rabbet plane yesterday and will keep the sharpening jig in mind.
    Welcome. I have some kind of guide rail system from Lee Valley (still in the box) that can bolt to the table in front of my bench grinder. To use it I will have to unbolt my grinder from the worktable and scoot the grinder back to make room to bolt down the guide.
    I will try to at least get the boxes opened in the next couple days to see if it can handle a skew iron. I really don't want skew angle getting away from me on this iron.

Sweet, I can edit. i brought in the Grinder Tool Rest and matching Grinding Jig (Items 05M06-01 and 05M23.01) so I could hollow grind the iron on my #8 Bailey. That iron is 2 5/8 inch wide, and I just don't feel good about freehanding that. This tool set can handle the iron on my #8, and looks like it an handle the skew rabbet iron as well.

So two possibilities. I did freehand hollow grind my 'practice' O1 iron for my rabbet plane, but at my age reducing the total drama in my life is desirable. With this tool set a fellow could, after manually setting the skew angle of the iron in this clamp set, get a good hollow grind and then freehand on the stones using the hollow.

I did not get a protractor out. I think the pic shows the skew rabbet iron in the grinding jig clamp at pretty close to correct, with visibly more than adequate space to fine tune the skew angle without running out of clamp. I just bought what I needed to not have to freehand my #8 Bailey. The grinding jig has factory pin holes for square, 30 degrees right and 30 degrees left. No idea if an additional pin hole for 22 degrees left and right is possible. And looking at the paperwork a little closer I see I have my irons mounted backwards. I think it will be fine. I am on call this weekend and have a bunch of crap to get done tonight, so I am not going to get all those pieces back out before next week.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Scott Winners; 10-28-2021 at 10:33 PM.

And it came to me in a dream last night that after installing the grinding jig as perfectly as possible in front of my grinder it would be prudent to clamp a wheel dresser in the grinding jig to make the wheel surface square to the jig. Truly. I am not that smart.

Hi Scott

Before you use the blade much, now is the time to set up the honing guide to ensure that the angle and the projection is repeatable. Below is an example, where I am using a set up for another honing guide (the blade is actually being honed at around 25 degrees). It was close enough to use in this case ...

Regards from Perth

Derek