Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home depot retun policy changing August 1

Home depot retun policy changing August 1

FYI: Starting August first home depot will no longer take returns without a receipt. If it was on a credit card you should be okay, within 60 days.
    No receipt, no refund no store credit, no nothing. I have 10-20 dollars worth of stuff I need to return before then. Receipts lost during a move or at least lost in a garage somewhere.
    Bill D

Gangs had been hiring homeless to steal stuff for them. Then hiring others to return it for store credit which they sold on clist for cash.

This has been the policy at select stores for about a month now.

Not sure how the selected were chosen though.

Believe your c.c. info is searchable for 90 days though.

My understanding has been if you purchased on a Home Depot credit card you could return up to a year. I do no know if that policy requires a receipt or not.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I'm not surprised and don't have an issue with this. Retail theft is a huge "business" and many places that had relatively liberal return policies can no longer afford to do so without passing on the cost to legitimate customers. For folks who know they historically "collect" stuff and return in batches, either keep your paper receipts in a box or take advantage of the electronic receipts that Home Depot and others will send to the email address of your choice.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I talked with a guy working a cash register at the local Lowes. He said their tool section is near the overhead door and to prevent someone from just walking behind the cash register and out the door is a partition wall. Often teams of people will grab stuff and one guy will toss it over the wall to another guy who will run out the door. Lowes has told staff not to pursue or confront those doing it. Just all the police. They do have camera's set up and I'm sure the police know all the usual suspects. Of course it just makes the stores raise prices to cover the theft so I'm fine with it.

I can't confirm it but I was told by a HD worker that they had a guy steal a 60 compressor that fell out of his truck as he was leaving. They had watched him do it but didn't stop him so police were on the way when he came back and tried to return it. Sounds kind of fishy to me but some career criminals aren't too bright.

If you sign up for the pro xtra rewards you can have your card linked to it and it automatically emails you the receipt. You can also access your receipts in the HD app so no need to save paper receipts.
    Last edited by Ian Lerew; 07-14-2021 at 7:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Lerew View Post
    If you sign up for the pro xtra rewards you can have you card linked to it and it automatically emails you the receipt. You can also access your receipts in the HD app so no need to save paper receipts.
    Consumers can do the same relative to the emails...once you provide an email at point-of-service (easy on the self-checkout), any time you use that credit card, you'll have the option to send an emailed receipt. If you use more than one card, you'll need to associate and email to that, too. 'Not sure about cash customers...I don't use that stuff! LOL
    --

I like having my receipts emailed. The issue with the young workers at HD, they hit the button and I can't hit the email receipt fast enough. Dan

I honestly cant believe they would ever let someone return something without proof (being receipts or CC history).

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Rude View Post
    I like having my receipts emailed. The issue with the young workers at HD, they hit the button and I can't hit the email receipt fast enough. Dan
    That's a major reason why I use the self-checkout as much as practical.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That's a major reason why I use the self-checkout as much as practical.
    Yeah, but even before Covid-19 I hated the thought of having to use the scanning wand that a billion people have touched with their dirty hands before you. And they NEVER clean it. Ewwww!!!!
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mayer View Post
    I honestly cant believe they would ever let someone return something without proof (being receipts or CC history).
    A Home Depot guy told me once a big theft item was work gloves. Maybe because they could be stuffed into clothes? People would steal them, go out one door, and come in the other and return them.

Another guy told me people have returned larger boxed items like microwave ovens which were found to contain junk.

What's almost worse is the brazen theft by supposedly respectable people - I bought a sprayer once and found residue inside. Someone bought it, used it to spray their deck, then returned it. Free rental, eh? Shame.

JKJ

Years ago my local Lowes moved all their circular saw blades except display models which were firmly attached, to behind the check out counter. I asked about it and was told they were losing them to theft and were finding dozens of inventory control tabs which were peeled off and discarded under the shelves. The thieves, they believed were contractors who would grab a few, remove the tabs and stuff them under their coats and walk out. As far as I have noticed, that was the only item regularly being stolen, other items just as easy to steal are still on display.
    I try my best not to misuse the return policy at any store but I use it when appropriate. I have a shop vac hose from Home Depot I just bought and I intend to return with the receipt, unused in the original box. After I got it home I decided I wanted a longer hose and ordered one from Amazon since HD didn't have a longer one.

I've always returned items to HD and Lowes with a receipt. I didn't know that would accept a return without one. No problem.

I am surprised how people try to steal or cheat places like Lowes and HD. I was shopping in our local HD for a carpet shampooer. A guy saw me looking at them, walked up and brazenly suggested I should use his method of buying one, using it and then bringing it back. I bring things back when they don't work but I certainly would not do that to escape renting or buying a tool or machine.

And then there is retail theft.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 07-16-2021 at 2:51 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....