Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home depot retun policy changing August 1

There has also been cross-store returning. Many common commodity items in plumbing, electrical, hardware, etc., come from the same manufacturers and have the same UPC codes at HD and Lowes and others. So theft at one store and return at another for a gift card without a receipt has happened. (I noticed the identical UPC codes during my recent temporary shop wiring project...same codes at HD, Lowes and a local independent hardware store)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

No surprise on the return policy. I once worked at a home goods store similar to the big blue and orange places, and saw some wacky returns, such as a compressor returned with paint overspray all over it.
    The store once had 6 Dewalt sliding miter saws disappear one Saturday; the crooks rolled them one at a time to the garden center and tossed over the fence to a waiting pick-up driver.
    Us costumers ultimately pay for this.

Thanks for the heads up. I feel like I live at the HD, and most of my stuff goes on the credit card, but sometimes I pay cash. I think I've gotten store credit maybe a couple of times over the past couple of years, usually for little stuff here and there. I'll make sure to put everything on the card.

Oh, and for those of you who are pretty keen on doing the CC thing, I had an issue at Lowes the other day trying to return some stuff. I had bought about 48 Simpson Strong tie ties, and then decided I didn't need them. For some reason they were trying to cap the amount I could return, which seemed odd to me, because I had the receipt, and a legit reason to get that many. Told the clerk I'd take store credit, which was enough to fix the issue. Without the receipt I don't think that would have happened.

Returning Simpson clips I have run into they did not to take them all since it was more then they had room on the shelf for. So they took 1/2 and I returned the rest in a week.
    HD can have issues since there are three stores all within 5 miles of me. They sometimes expect me to care which store I bought it from when returning.
    Bill D

Part of the problem was store management let people return anything without receipts or in poor condition. I worked at HD and a guy returned all the wood he used as concrete forms. The stuff had concrete all over it, we told the manager we can’t inventory or even sell as cull lumber due to concrete on it, manager didn’t care so person got full refund. It used to be an inside joke that the only thing HD wouldn’t take back is your kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Returning Simpson clips I have run into they did not to take them all since it was more then they had room on the shelf for. So they took 1/2 and I returned the rest in a week.
    HD can have issues since there are three stores all within 5 miles of me. They sometimes expect me to care which store I bought it from when returning.
    Bill D

That's a store, local , or regional thing. I return stuff bought in other states at any Depot in my neighborhood. I suppose it helps that the mother ship is a couple of miles from my house.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    scanning wand
    I think of it as a ray gun with the pistol grip and all...
    NOW you tell me...

I went to the self service wrecking yard the other day. To get in you pay $2.00 and they have you electronically sign a release in case you hurt yourself. I barely read it. Then they take a picture of you. Not real sure why the changes. I know teens would pay for one entry then come out and their friend would go in as them the same day.
    Bill D

Was at Lowes checking out... The man in front of me opened the drink cooler, took out an ice tea, drank half of it and put it back...as he was checking out, I mentioned that he forgot the ice tea... he denied it was his... the clerk did nothing... when I checked out, she told me that it was a common practice... and he did it often !!!

He is the owner of a local electrical contractor business.. when someone asks for an electrician I tell them what he did... that ice tea trick has cost him a lot business over the last few years... he stole maybe $1-2 but lost thousands because of it...

Even with the new policy, I have found the HD employees to be helpful in my experience. A few weeks ago I gutted a 20+ year old shower. I ordered over $3,000 worth of materials and hardware online from HD. My wife had given me a 3 day time to plan the remodel, make a list of required materials and get it ordered. I made a couple mistakes in my rush. When the materials arrived, some came to the store, some delivered to my home and some were in the store and I had to pick them up. I didn't get receipts in all cases. When I have had to return my mistakes in unused materials, the first time, the employee looked up my order and gave me the order number for future reference should I need it.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

[QUOTE=Ed Aumiller;3156175]Was at Lowes checking out... The man in front of me opened the drink cooler, took out an ice tea, drank half of it and put it back...as he was checking out, I mentioned that he forgot the ice tea... he denied it was his... the clerk did nothing... when I checked out, she told me that it was a common practice... and he did it often !!!
    I would not let him or his employees into my house. No telling what he would eat/drink or steal. Good thing I do not have a teen age daughter to worry about as well.
    Bill D
    I would turn in that Lowes to the covid police for selling unsanitary food items. His saving a few cents could kill someone.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 11-19-2021 at 1:38 PM.