Thread: My laser accidently made a few great cuts and now I can't duplicate it

Unhappy My laser accidently made a few great cuts and now I can't duplicate it

• My laser: 40W ULS VersaLaser with 2" lens
    • Laser settings: power=90%, speed=3.6%, PPI=300, z=.110" With and without air assist.
    • The material: 3/16" cast acrylic, with 8mil photo print and 3mil poly lamination film. The paper mask still on the underside of the acrylic.
    • The problem: laser burns/melts the lamination film at point of the cut

I have tried for years to solve the above problem, and a few days ago I tried lowering the focal point from .177" to .110" and I got absolutely perfect cuts!

The next day I used the SAME piece of scrap, the SAME settings and I got the SAME old terrible cuts.

It seems my laser accidently made a few marvelous cuts.

I would be forever grateful if someone would help me solve this mystery. Any ideas? Maybe erratic power output? Global warming? ??? Stock prices?

Thanks!
    Al
    Al Stewart
    Tualatin, Oregon
    ULS VersaLaser 40W 12 x 24"

Al

Are you using a cutting grid in your machine?
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Al

Are you using a cutting grid in your machine?
    Hi Mike, I have tried it both ways: Honeycomb and the flat engraving table.

I thought I was on to something tonight when I noticed very little air flow in the air assist. But, I fixed that, and it didn't help.

FWIW, to cut 3/16 black cast acrylic (nothing laminated, with only the paper mask on the bottom) I have always had to use 100% power, 1.8% speed--when the machine was new, as well as after replacing the tube. Does that sound right for a 40W system??

Al
    Al Stewart
    Tualatin, Oregon

Al
    It's difficult to judge a "norm" for various systems because of all the variables involved. I would advise using a cutting grid whenever you are in the cutting mode. Since your air assist appears not to be working consistently. that may be a problem. I would double check the mirrors and lens for cleanliness. There is a good chance that a malfunctioning air assist could cause issues with both and clean mirrors and lens are essential to good cuts.

A malfunction while cutting can damage the lens so that would be my first check.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 02-05-2024 at 1:06 PM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

As Mike said above: Is your cone a bit blocked with detritus? Poor airflow will physically restrict the cone, cause filthy/burned lens and even mirror. I would check those first. What is your source of compressed air? Does it contain condensation that may also have oils, etc in it? Kind Regards, John
    60w EFI 6090 & 100w Z4 Reci 6090 G Weike Lasers, 4 X 4 CNC Router
    CLTT using Oki C822dn & Adkins Press
    Glass Sandblasting, Woodwork Shop, etc...
    V Carve Pro v8 & Photo V Carve, Lasercut 5.3, Corel Draw 2017 on Windows 7 and iMac (via Parallels), etc

Thank you, fellas, for all the great brainstorming! I was never able to get good cuts on laminated photos on acrylic, since the laser was new 17 years ago. After spending hundreds of hours, I gave up and simply used the laser for other things. Until a couple of weeks ago, when I was shocked to see it make perfect cuts! The next day it was back to making the same old terrible cuts, even with the same settings and the same sample piece. I have now been doing the same things I did 17 years ago, with the same results.

It's time to abort the mission. With the new lasers on the market selling for 1/3rd of what I paid in 2006, I look forward to using the incredible features available. I think I will be getting the XTool P2.

Thanks again for all the ideas! This is a great forum!!
    Al Stewart
    Tualatin, Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by Al Stewart View Post
    Thank you, fellas, for all the great brainstorming! I was never able to get good cuts on laminated photos on acrylic, since the laser was new 17 years ago. After spending hundreds of hours, I gave up and simply used the laser for other things. Until a couple of weeks ago, when I was shocked to see it make perfect cuts! The next day it was back to making the same old terrible cuts, even with the same settings and the same sample piece. I have now been doing the same things I did 17 years ago, with the same results.

It's time to abort the mission. With the new lasers on the market selling for 1/3rd of what I paid in 2006, I look forward to using the incredible features available. I think I will be getting the XTool P2.

Thanks again for all the ideas! This is a great forum!!
    You sure you want to drop down to a diode laser? That's a huge drop in specifications! By the way, you are working with a robot. It can't produce accidents, YET

Hi Richard!
    Actually the xTool P2 is a 55W CO2 laser.
    Al
    Al Stewart
    Tualatin, Oregon