Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Really Embarrassing ScrewUp - Need Advice

There is a product called Moglice. It is used on things like lathe beds, Mill beds, etc. to fill holes, dips, dents, chips, pockets. Google it and see if it'll do what you want.

I would opt for filling with epoxy and keeping it on the table. This way it will be a reminder not to do this again. And if you do have another mishap, then it won't be so bad since the top is already marked up. And - it will still be fine for its intended use on the table saw (to support material as it passes thru the blade).
    David

I am sad with your bad experience. Unfortunatelly it happens... as always it could be worse.

Personally I would maintain the scars of that experience as a reminder - something common for Japanese woodworkers. I would fulfill the groove with classical tin solder like those we used in the past for gutter installation followed with some sanding or even routing when conveniently set up.
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

As I've gotten older, cosmetic scars on tools no longer bothers me. If it works, carry-on. No need to spend good cash on something that doesn't affect the performance of the tool. Just my $.02.

I've routed CI before, just little tiny alterations and such. It's always seemed very violent. I can't imagine routing that much of it and not noticing, just seeing that ring makes me grit my teeth. Anyway, I would clean up the ring and fill it with brass or silver. Clean it up with a file and cut wood.

Reminds me of the story about the flatlander who drove his car into a snowbank. A local with a 4wd pickup hauled him out and waved off the driver's $20 bill, saying, "No, I don't want no money, I just want to know how the hell you got in so deep!"
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 07-15-2021 at 7:00 AM.

I haven’t read this entire thread but there is a company in Aston, Pa called Devitt Machinery and they sell a resin product that is intended for repairing the surfaces of big machine ways. I think it is called Mogalise or something like that. I don’t know the phone number but you shouldn’t have any problem finding them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    What John said! Just glad you didn’t get hurt!

Besides, just like men and scars, they all have a story to tell.. A drill press hasn’t come of age till somebody drills a hole in the table, but a table saw with a hole is something special! Cherish it.

JB Weld has fixed many many screwups over the years.

On second thought, after reading these posts, a $900 repair doesn't sound so bad. Reminding yourself of a terrible mistake that you made on a daily basis can cause constant pain.
    I know how it feels to look at photos on the wall of my most terrible mistake, otherwise known as my wedding. If I could get out of that for $900. , the cash would fly so fast that the air friction might set it on fire.

That’s funny! I’d spend the $900 for peace of mind but as has been noted, both the wing and the central table have to be replaced. That necessitates recalibration of parallelism of miter slots to blade. Possibly not a big deal but I would talk to someone at SawStop.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Mack View Post
    That’s funny! I’d spend the $900 for peace of mind but as has been noted, both the wing and the central table have to be replaced. That necessitates recalibration of parallelism of miter slots to blade. Possibly not a big deal but I would talk to someone at SawStop.
    I think spending $900 on a new top would make a person LOSE their peace of mind. Because now with a brand new top you're starting over, constantly being overly cautious and careful around it. With his top the way it is now, he's gained so much peace of mind not having to worry about every little ding and dent on it anymore.

He also mentioned the saw is almost 20 years old, no point in buying a new top for it as that point. Buy a new SawStop if you're going to spend money like that. But then again you'll lose all your peace of mind again worrying about not damaging it over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Mack View Post
    Correction- I’m looking at my 2017 Honda CR-V with the operating but wobbly driver’s side mirror I dinged backing out of my garage. It works but every time I bump it, it moves and complains. I cheaped-out to save a $700 replacement. I now accept it like I accept my limp and my hand tremor, with regret. (John 16:33)

This is a strange looking epoxy river table...

I'm glad to know its not just me that does these things...

Jimmy carter probably has a round presidential seal engraved on his table. Just tell people it was intended for him. Any chance you were in the marines or navy? their seals are round aren't they?
    My wife likes to shop at target.
    magnetic darts anyone?
    Bill D