Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Really Embarrassing ScrewUp - Need Advice

Blog Entries
    I did the exact same thing to the top of my then brand new workbench. I filled it with glue & sawdust & now that the bench is marked up by use, it doesn't really bother me anymore.

Personally, I would buy the new top from SawStop. It would drive me nuts seeing it every day. But that's just me. Frankly, filling it with as close to a color match is possible (I like that JB Weld/iron powder filling method) is a reasonable first step. If it still bothers you, replace it.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Don't try to file the edges to reduce burrs. Stone it down by hand. this method will not raise a burr like a file can.
    Bill D.

I would buy the slider attachment . What a
    great excuse to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I would buy the slider attachment . What a
    great excuse to upgrade.
    Unfortunately the damage is also into the main table. I'm with Alan I'd have to replace the top I couldn't look at this oops without it sucking the fun out of woodworking.

I would route a ! (exclamation mark) in the center of it. Fill the circle with black epoxy and the exclamation mark with red.

As a 'Check twice, cut once'.........

Then trademark it as a safety feature.

But seriously, I would fill it, use it for a while and then make a decision to see if it really bothers you or affects you work.

Been there & done that. Jen-Weld. Color will not match but serves as a reminder not to do it again.

I would think jb, quiksteel or this looks promising too
    https://www.grainger.com/product/5TT...w63h3:20501231

I built a shop drawer a week after I got my sawstop and realized I needed to shrink the width. So i dadoed one side and didnt realize there was a pocket hole screw just sticking out. I ran it through 4-5 times and then saw I had gouged scratches into the top. Cosmetic but it was 6 days into owning it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    What Brian said...or alternatively, fill the recesses with quality resin and just use the machine...

I'm with this solution. It's done. Make a usable repair and use the machine. A good resin will self level to some degree. Sand it flush, paste wax and move on. If it makes you feel any better I cut through a piece of prefinished interior siding into the piece I already prepared to finish the job. Not as dramatic or soul crushing but, I move on . . . ;-)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-14-2021 at 11:50 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

$.02...If you can afford it, just buy the new top. It would drive me nuts to see it every time I used the saw. Resetting the new table will be a pain, but a good learning experience. Save the old table and you'll find many uses for a solid, really flat surface. Bite the bullet and chalk it up to experience.

buff the edges smooth if any material is above the surface. You can then ignore it or fill with any resin or other fillers. Use a marker to draw clock hands and use all 5's for the numbers on the face. Add the caption that "it's 5'oclock somewhere". Just having some fun but you are going to need to live with it or get $900 dollars lighter.

I suggest posting it on YouTube as a 'Don't do this' video, and follow up with 'How I fixed it' video. Who knows, SawStop may post it on their site and send you a new top.

I am in the fix it and use it camp. I have several tools with mistakes on them, they remind me just how imperfect I am.

I would make an unhappy face out of it with the router, now that you know it works.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I feel your pain. I'm actually blown away that SawStop has been around that long......... Seems like just the other day to me. Probably has something to do with my age - mid 70s. Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

I would check to see that the saw top is still flat and not moved any from the cut. It is probably ok but check it anyway before trying to salvage it.

The cut looks pretty deep from the picture, and this would make remachining and keeping everything flat some what harder so buying a new top would probably be the best thing to do. You would have more then half the cost of a new top into it remachining.

Maybe you could cover the entire top of the saw with an 1/8" piece of hard board and just leave it as is.

It's a battle scar, you lucked out with only needing to spend an hour or so and a few bucks filling this in and then being good to go. It could have been a lot worse and you would be out $900 if you had ruined it.