Thread: Cabinet scraper question

Cabinet scraper question

Hello hand tool experts! I recently picked up a used Stanley no 80 cabinet scraper and just finished cleaning it up. I was able to sharpen the blade at 45 deg, roll a burr, and take a nice wispy shaving. However, it seems like the burr is going dull much quicker than it should and in some cases I lose it altogether. Like taking 10-20 passes on a small board. Is this normal? Is my burr to small? To large? My card scraper stays sharp much longer, so perhaps it’s the cabinet scraper blade hardness?

Thanks for the help.

What angle are you burnishing at? I have found mine works better if I burnish at about a 55 degree angle. That is just my experience though.

Also, are you using an original Stanley iron? Or do you have a replacement? How did you grind the 45 degree edge? If someone used a bench grinder to dress the edge at one point it could have gotten too hot and the iron lost it's temper.

Thanks Jason. I honed the bevel at 45 degrees using a sharpening jig up to 2000 grit and flattened the back. I burnished the edge at about 60 deg above horizontal.

I am using the blade that came with it, looks original, so I order a replacement from Lee Valley. Hopefully that performs better. Great idea about the temper. If the new blade works great, then it was the old blade, not me.