Thread: Auriou rasps - seeking input

Auriou rasps - seeking input

First off, I just received my new 9” grain 10 cabinet makers rasp and I am highly pleased with its performance. I was concerned that the 10 grain would be too fine, but it is actually quite aggressive for the chair work I am doing.

So, a few questions for Auriou owners. What grain is your favorite and why? They are expensive! But, I am not opposed to owning another one as they seem to be as good as folks have reported.

What do you use to clean your rasp when it gets loaded with shavings? I have a two sided brush that was bought decades ago, fine wire on one side and coarse synthetic bristles on the other, but I wonder if there is a better way or if the fine metal bristles will dull the rasp.

Is there a practical way to reduce loading? Seems I recall a previous discussion about the loading issue, but can’t recall the suggestions.

Thanks!

Left click my name for homepage link.

Favorite grain in an Auriou....6. Why? Because it gets you 80% of the way there in just 20% of the time.

For cleaning, I use a stiff toothbrush, per Michel Auriou's recommendation: https://forge-de-saint-juery.com/con...or-Riffler.pdf

I have Liogier rather than Auriou rasps, and for cleaning I use a brass brush purchased from Liogier specifically for their rasps. Time will tell, but it doesn’t seem to have had any dulling effect yet. I only feel the need to clean them (and oil them) after use rather than cleaning as I go; they keep cutting well even when loaded.

To reduce loading, I have seen the suggestion to chalk the rasp first. I haven’t had any problems with loading, so I haven’t tried it myself yet.

I would have trouble picking a favorite. It all depends on what I’m doing and in what wood.

Blog Entries
    Depending on how tenacious the material being worked is at sticking to the teeth.

My old tooth brushes are often used.

A cheap paint brush for the easy stuff. Chip brushes are those inexpensive brushes available at many stores. One of mine has had the handle sanded and clear coated. The bristles were cut to about 3/4". It is great for cleaning debris from planes, files and rasps.

Next is a plastic vegetable brush. Mine has a handle on the backside to fit around a couple fingers. Its bristles have also been shortened.

Not long ago a new suede brush was found at an estate sale for a dollar. It has plastic bristles interspersed in the center with brass bristles.

Also the brass bristle brushes available at welding supply and other metal working retailers are used on the toughest to remove particles.

Finally a fine pointed awl is sometimes needed to pick stuck pieces out of individual teeth.

My two Auriou rasps are 13 & 15 grain. The 15 grain often leaves a surface smoother than 200 grit sandpaper.

My roughest rasp is a Disston maybe about a 10 and a Nicholson #59 pattern maker's rasp.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 07-13-2021 at 10:36 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks for the input!

John; if your comtemplating buying another rasp you may want to consider Logiers range of Saphire Coated Rasps.

https://www.fine-tools.com/liogier-sapphire.html

regards Stewie;

Stewie, in fact I am already considering a Liogier. It would be a good comparison against the Auriou. Since my use is sporadic I may not go with the Sapphire series, but that choice hasn’t been made yet. Reviews of both brands seem to be comparable, though I have seen suggestions that paying the difference for the Sapphire may not be advisable for those that aren’t frequent users or where moisture is not an issue. I don’t typically use rasps and files on green wood.

I will add that based on some posts in an older SMC thread I am sending a batch of my old files to Boggs Sharpening Service in CA. After speaking with Ted there it seems worth the nominal cost to revive some favorite files I have had for years.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 07-14-2021 at 7:47 AM.

John; the corrosive resistance of the Saphire range is a secondary benefit. Its the increase in hardness over its rivals that imo makes then worth the additional cost. My opinion is based on comparing the Saphire coating when working with high silica Aussie hardwoods.

regards Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 07-14-2021 at 8:01 AM.

When I placed my order with Liogier, I asked Noel's opinion on whether I should stick with their traditional line or go with the sapphire; his response was consistent with Stewie's experience.

"During several years I only do the traditional range. and it was perfect
    for the woodworkers.
    The sapphire range was developed with australian woodworkers who work
    very hardwood."

Wise advise! LV has this one - https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...modellers-rasp and I have emailed to see if it is the Sapphire rasp. It sounds like it in the description (...and is treated with an extremely hard coating to retain sharpness through long use.), but they don't use the word "Sapphire."

Hi John,

I have that one (also ordered through Lee Valley). It's fantastic, and it is indeed one of the "sapphire" rasps.

Thanks, Michael. It is on order!!

John Keeton - thank you, thank you, thank you!
    For over a year now, I've entered the dark, mysteries, cult like world of chair making. Inspiration came from a post (WC) by Maine Windsor chair maker Jack Guzman and his Curtis Buchanon Windsor rocker. Since then, Jack has been gracious in offering tips and pointing me in the right direction. Three fellow woodworkers that I mentor on Saturday mornings, have been working on a Windsor side chair guided by the great book by Peter Galbert "Chairmakers Notebook" We are making good progress.
    Of corse in carving the seat wood rasps have been essential. I have the Nickolson #49 & 50 (USA) that I've used sporadicly over 20 years. However, after reading your post on Auriou rasps, I had to have one. It wasn't easy as everyone was out of stock. I ended up buying the 9" 10GR directly from Auriou. Even with the currency exchange, the cost was competitive with US suppliers.
    I'm not finished...just ordered the 6" 15GR modelers rasp from LV.

John, you have taken a dive into deep water with Windsor chair building!! Last year I finished two comb backs, a fan back and a sack back. This spring - another sack back yet to be painted, and all parts for four more sack backs one of which should be assembled by next weekend. The sack backs have the knuckle handholds with volutes and they were all roughed out before getting the Auriou and the Liogier, but I have briefly used both and they are great!