Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Infeed/outfeed for drum sander/wide belt sander

Infeed/outfeed for drum sander/wide belt sander

Hi all, am looking to solve a big problem I've always had in the shop, running big stuff though the sanders.

I have a 37" double head Supermax and a 37" SCMI widebelt sander. Running long, heavy, or awkward stuff through is not working well. Using the single roller support stands helps, but I'd need about 8 of them for full width slabs - 4 for infeed and 4 for outfeed. I know Biesse/Viet makes a wide belt sander whose head elevates, rather than the table, allowing a fixed infeed/outfeed. Very good design but very expensive.

There are the conveyor style supports, multi-head roller stands, and simple flat tables. I would need to be able to adjust them up/down to match the sander tables. I've wanted to run countertops through weighing 390lbs. The last bartop I ran through was maybe 180lbs, 10.5' long.

Any suggestions?
    JonathanJungDesign.com

You could use a hydraulic lift table like this https://www.mcmaster.com/hydraulic-l...e-lift-tables/ There are a lot of options for these tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    You could use a hydraulic lift table like this https://www.mcmaster.com/hydraulic-l...e-lift-tables/ There are a lot of options for these tables.
    Yep. Hydraulic lift tables, put them on casters if needed, and optionally make a nest-on panel that sits on top of the hydraulic table with either a bunch of flange mount or nested ball transfers. Simple, and can be stashed away or used for other stuff.

I bought this from Woodcraft ($200). Brand name Supermax. Although I don't think these will support your weight requirements

Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 07-13-2021 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I bought this from Woodcraft ($200). Brand name Supermax. Although I don't think these will support your weight requirements
    Flex conveyors are handy and probably not an issue for sander with conveyor feed but rollers can be a bear having a lot of influence on the part (left/right) and can be a bit precarious if you need pretty critical height which would most definitely be the case with a sander.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    That looks like an industrial version of the Felder Fat300, which I consider getting. Thanks for sharing another option.

I have a hydrualic lift cart on casters, actually. The trouble is, the concrete floor is not level, so inevitably one corner of the table is high by as much as 1/2". I could shim the thing, once in place in front of the sander, but then I'd need another lift cart for the outfeed, shimmed and ready.

2020-12-14_18-24-48.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jonathan Jung; 07-14-2021 at 10:52 AM.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Does this have much flex when extended?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post

JonathanJungDesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Jung View Post
    Does this have much flex when extended?
    Not that I've noticed, each caster locks and each leg is height adjustable with a scale on it, but only with a thumbscrew. I've not had it slip, under weight, but I've not tried anything near as heavy as to what you are talking about. If this became an issue, I would probably drill holes in the inner legs to allow 1/4" pins to be used as positive stops for height.

They do have a little clasp that lets you link them to each other in line.

The trouble is, the concrete floor is not level, so inevitably one corner of the table is high by as much as 1/2". I could shim the thing, once in place in front of the sander, but then I'd need another lift cart for the outfeed, shimmed and ready.
    Just clean the floor real well on the in and out feed of the sander and lay some thin strips down on the floor making a dam, roll on a good coat of bonding agent and drill up a couple pails of super loose floor leveler and float out a self-leveling area on each side the size of the cart. Remove the dam and trowel out a bit of a fillet on three sides so the cart rolls up on and carry on.

Blog Entries
    I have a few shims magnetically attached to some of my supports. Even though I have hydraulic up and down control orienting for "level" is not built in. A shim is quick and easy and variable depending on the location where I need the support.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

That looks like an industrial version of the Felder Fat300, which I consider getting…
    They’re $300 off list price right now, if you’re in the market. Every FAT owner I have, has told me they struggled with the initial cos but then were like “totally worth it” after using it.

Erik
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Erik, would I be able to call you and ask some questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    They’re $300 off list price right now, if you’re in the market. Every FAT owner I have, has told me they struggled with the initial cos but then were like “totally worth it” after using it.

Erik
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Erik, would I be able to call you and ask some questions?
    Jonathan, check your PM box.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

That's a good idea, except I'm in a rented commercial space. I would setup a dedicated space like this in my own building.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Just clean the floor real well on the in and out feed of the sander and lay some thin strips down on the floor making a dam, roll on a good coat of bonding agent and drill up a couple pails of super loose floor leveler and float out a self-leveling area on each side the size of the cart. Remove the dam and trowel out a bit of a fillet on three sides so the cart rolls up on and carry on.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Are you putting the shims under the feet/casters, or between the top and the body/legs?
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I have a few shims magnetically attached to some of my supports. Even though I have hydraulic up and down control orienting for "level" is not built in. A shim is quick and easy and variable depending on the location where I need the support.
    JonathanJungDesign.com