Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grizzly warranty

I have a story like Rick's... my Grizzly 0700 baby slider was my first "real" piece of woodworking equipment, i.e. with a proper contactor switch and emergency stops. The saw would not start, messed with it for an hour before calling Grizzly... and yes, I had not released the stop button on the main switch

My contribution to this thread would be to warn people to not modify a machine like the OP did... an out of square base would have been reason enough to get the that part replaced.

So you started it once and pushed the red stop button and it no longer turns on?

You have to rotate the stop button so it pops out, to allow you to start it again. It's a safety feature. Seems like a pretty basic thing.

Quote Originally Posted by "Felix Marti" View Post
    Unfortunately I lack the knowledge or equipment to to determine what is wrong, and any expense I undertake to learn what is wrong, is mine; Grizzly doesn't recompense.
    Being somewhat capable at figuring out how to use machinery and diagnose issues is kind of a prerequisite in woodworking, since most of it revolves around machinery. I'd highly recommend that YOU DO take this time to learn what is wrong and what is going on. It will be far more valuable to you than you seem to realize. If you don't want to learn how to work with machinery, you might have difficulties continuing in woodworking.. Unless of course you want to stick exclusively to hand tools
    Last edited by Stewart Lang; 07-13-2021 at 4:02 PM.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Stewart Lang View Post
    So you started it once and pushed the red stop button and it no longer turns on?

You have to rotate the stop button so it pops out, to allow you to start it again. It's a safety feature. Seems like a pretty basic thing.
    Good point. I get the feeling that if that IS the problem, we may never get the report back that it was the case

Either way, hope it's an easy fix.

Most everything has been covered already. More information would be helpful indeed. If you use a machine enough to wear out two motors you obviously you use a bandsaw a lot. To me it seems like and it's already been said that you "own" it now after modifying the base. To be truthful without proper trouble shooting you don't even know if the machine has a defect. Good luck either way and hopefully it is something simple. Just curious did you have someone do the wiring? I'm pretty certain it wouldn't have came with a cord on it because there are so many variables in supplying power. Cord length etc.

About all you can do is get a friend who's savvy with electronics and ask for some help locally. An electrician is not cheap but you have to start somewhere.

It's too late now, but you're always better off buying direct from Grizzly. There is no benefit from many internet resellers as they don't have help or support. Grizzly already gives direct pricing to the public and cuts out the middleman. That's been a key to their success.

It could be a bad switch or something simple, so don't give up. Grizzly is not going to take back a machine that's been modified. I have a personal experience with returning a jointer from Grizzly, and they refunded the entire purchase plus shipping. I've since bought other items from them after that. But you taking a welder to that machine has put you in a bad spot with trying to return it.

You would also want to be careful as to which location the "welder" placed his ground clamp, unless he removed the base from the machine first before welding. There is always the risk with a miss-placed ground passing the welding current thru some of the wires and/or electronics and causing some damage. Most "welders" would know this and place the ground clamp very close to the area being welded. My guess is this is something as simple as releasing the E-stop switch. I will look forward to hearing the resolution to this dilemma. By the way, I owns may of the larger Grizzly power tools and over the last 15 years the Grizzly customer service and support I have received has been first rate. I do agree it is usually better to purchase directly from Grizzly as opposed to an independent reseller.
    David
    Last edited by David Buchhauser; 07-14-2021 at 1:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart Lang View Post

OMG. I just went to Grizzly's site and downloaded the manual. LINK. On page 28 it shows how to test the saw and clearly shows the lockout you mention. I sure hope he figured it out. Unfortunately, I see that he hasnt been back since he made his post. So this is starting to seem like it was really an attempt to use the internet as a weapon, not to get help. Bummer.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 07-14-2021 at 8:29 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

i bought the grizzly t27417 sander about a year ago and i waited about 2 months before setting it up and i could not keep the belt tracking to hold reguardless of what i did,,i called grizzly and the rep told me a few things to do that would take care of the problem,,,needless to say none worked,,,so he told me to box it up and he would send me a return label so it would not cost anything to send it back,,so i did,,i was expecting the same sander except for it being fixed,,,but when the sander came back it was a brand new one and never been opened,,with that being said grizzly treated me good,,and i will have to admit i do like their tools,,but i honestly dont know about buying a large bandsaw or table saw from them,,and to be truthfull before this experience i said i never would buy from grizzly,,,,but like i said,,they do have good tools,,,and i have no regrets,,,

I personally would have put 4 leveling feet onto the saw before welding something to the bottom. Just throwing that out there in case someone reads this and thinks that adding steel is the only answer.

I had the same problem with a big Grizzly jointer. Called customer service and they noted that they had added an interlock safety switch but the manual hadn’t been updated yet. Nothing on the panel indicated that the switch had an interlock. A quick twist later, it started right up and has worked flawlessly for 13 years. Live and learn.