Thread: Suggestions on how to make a plexiglass door for this cabinet? Limited tools!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Suggestions on how to make a plexiglass door for this cabinet? Limited tools!

Not sure that this is the right place for this post, or even the right forum. If not please feel free to move or if there is a better place to ask...I will do so.

I posted earlier about my dad's router table, I got it all cleaned up and have a new router installed in it, and have started doing some playing around on scrap wood...just practicing on how to use it. Someone on that thread realized that it was the Norm Abram/New Yankee Workshop design, so I have googled that table and I see where many have put a plexiglass/wood door on the compartment where the router is.

I'd like to do that, but am scratching my head where to start. The compartment measures 17.25 x 17.25. I did order a small sheet of fiberglass 1/8" thick, 16x16. I realize I will probably have to cut the fiberglass down a little, as I want it surrounded by some wood, sort of like a picture frame I guess. However, I have no table saw, and no miter saw. (One day I will get there but right now I don't know enough to even buy one yet LOL). I do have a circular saw and a jig for straight cuts, and a router of course (including a nice little palm router that I have used quite a bit). I also have a jig saw and some other misc. tools but no table saw.

I don't mind messing around trying to figure stuff out on my own, but with the price of lumber, I'd like to have an idea of what to do before I start cutting anything. Another issue is that the left side of the compartment is not straight, vertically, but I don't want to mess with that - the cabinet is fine and sturdy. I just want to make a door. Something like the ones pictured. (And can someone tell me how to get pictures to post rightside up??)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chess Baloo; 07-12-2021 at 6:35 PM.