Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: leaking union

I like SharkBites. One thing I learned early on is you need to cut the ends of the tube or pipe exactly square and clean and it MUST be fully inserted which occasionally requires some extra effort in a tight space. I've never had one leak if properly prepared and seated.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    Are you sure they are leaking and it's not just humidity condensing on the metal? If it's just for a week or so I wouldn't worry about it unless the leak is so bad the catch pan is filling too fast.
    Normally I'd agree but those lengths of Romex leading to and from the pressure switch underneath the fitting would give me anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I like SharkBites. One thing I learned early on is you need to cut the ends of the tube or pipe exactly square and clean and it MUST be fully inserted which occasionally requires some extra effort in a tight space. I've never had one leak if properly prepared and seated.
    Sharkbite makes an inexpensive tool to mark a pipe so that it gets inserted to the proper depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Allen View Post
    Ok, by now you know I'm not even close to being a plumber, one of the pex connections is leaking slightly, I'm close to giving up.
    The end of your PEX fitting has to be absolutely square, clean and free of any abrasions before inserting into the push to connect fittings you're using. Cut that section of PEX out, pull it from the fittings, remove the union and go directly into the end of that check valve. If this is all just temporary, it's easier just to cut through the PEX and re-insert a new piece when the time comes to re-work everything. As I'd mentioned, the vibration from your jet pump when it runs will cause the union to leak if it's that close to the inlet end of it. I've gone through this very install with that same Pentair Sta-Rite pump and a metal to metal union connection is not going to remain water-tight there.

This should not be leaking unless the pump is not running.
    Bill D

100_0139.jpg
    Here's a picture of the union on the water pump in my house. It's been there since 1988. I've had it apart twice while replacing the tank. It's never leaked.

I say put the union back in and put a little anti-seize on the threads of the nut, and only on the threads of the nut, and tighten it up. If your piping is aligned properly you can tighten the union tight enough to prevent any leaks.

As Bill said above. That union shouldn't leak any water. If that union is leaking I don't know how the pump is moving any water. The pump will suck air before water and never move any water if you have a leak anywhere in the suction(inlet) piping.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

nothing wrong with shark bites when properly installed, as Jim said.

you should take all of that apart, and use the fewest fittings as possible. pex between. no reason i can see for the union. if you don't like the slip on fittings, the brass barb fittings and the rings plus the tool are much cheaper if you are doing more than a few connections.

Blog Entries
    And with a simple inexpensive plastic tool, Sharkbite fittings can be removed without damaging the pipe or fitting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twg4...nnel=KeyFobRob
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    100_0139.jpg
    Here's a picture of the union on the water pump in my house. It's been there since 1988. I've had it apart twice while replacing the tank. It's never leaked.

I say put the union back in and put a little anti-seize on the threads of the nut, and only on the threads of the nut, and tighten it up. If your piping is aligned properly you can tighten the union tight enough to prevent any leaks.

As Bill said above. That union shouldn't leak any water. If that union is leaking I don't know how the pump is moving any water. The pump will suck air before water and never move any water if you have a leak anywhere in the suction(inlet) piping.
    Might be time to replace that pump….

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Might be time to replace that pump….
    And risk having that union leak? No way.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herman View Post
    nothing wrong with shark bites when properly installed, as Jim said.

you should take all of that apart, and use the fewest fittings as possible. pex between. no reason i can see for the union. if you don't like the slip on fittings, the brass barb fittings and the rings plus the tool are much cheaper if you are doing more than a few connections.
    I have a couple shark bite fittings in places that were hard to get dry enough to solder. I found it true about making sure the pipe is fully inserted. The pipe goes in pretty easily at first but pushing harder made the pipe go in another 1/4" or so. Neither fitting has leaked so far.

Curt, you are spot on. If I were going to do a whole house or a major project, I'd certainly go for an appropriate crimp system that matches the tubing, but SharkBite serves an important role in the marketplace...fast, simple, and actually pretty good when installed properly. Great for small projects and "problem solving".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Shark Bite style fittings have been around for some time. We use a style call "one touch" that allows for the hose to be easily removed. But they seal on the outside of the hose so if the hose is not smooth the o-ring may not seal. We normally use Teflon and Tygon tubing which usually has a very smooth surface. I have seen cheap PEX tubing with striations that could cause issues.

Blog Entries
    You are asking for trouble. The whole system should replaced. It will be less expensive now , I would replace all of the rust.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    You are asking for trouble. The whole system should replaced. It will be less expensive now , I would replace all of the rust.
    That's something I've considered. The pump was installed because we live on top of a hill that's about the same altitude as the water tank in our town, it raises our water pressure from 20 - 25 psi up to 50 psi. It's been in use for about 14 years, what is the typical life of a jet pump?
    Assumption is the mother of all screw ups
    Anonyms