Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: leaking union

Quote Originally Posted by jim allen View Post
    so sealant on the mating surface?
    ...............no!
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    .... Any imperfection in the seat will cause a leak.
    ^this. Excessive misalignment between the union halves can also lead to leaks, tho' most quality unions have slightly hemispherical seats to allow some misalignment.

(I am assuming the leak is in the seats and not the (end) pipe threads.)
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 07-13-2021 at 11:23 AM.

I'd probably not have the check valve going directly into the end of the of the pump, might be difficult to remove down the line when the pump has to be replaced. How I'd lay this out below.

Yup, I admit I remembered wrong.
    Pipe dope was for my black iron gas fittings.
    Sharkbite will make your problem vanish.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

I want to thank everyone for your comments and suggestions, everything will be considered for the final assembly. This is a temporary solution that will be redone next week when I receive my sediment filter that will be assembled in line.
    Assumption is the mother of all screw ups
    Anonyms

No sealant on the seal either. It will just cause friction and reduce the force holding the seal faces together. I suppose you could use some silicone grease if this is not for drinking water.
    Bill D

As Ole said NO sealant on the mating surfaces.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Ok, by now you know I'm not even close to being a plumber, one of the pex connections is leaking slightly, I'm close to giving up.
    Assumption is the mother of all screw ups
    Anonyms

My fathers solution was rubber hose. It has to be like radiator hose with internal support so it does not collapse under suction. cars often have a loose spring inserted inside normal hose. The spring is like 3/4" between loops. For your use I would use stainless or brass wire to make a spring.
    Bill D

3/4 pex is only like 1/2 npt pipe. You should have used at least one inch pex if you are needing 3/4 npt. Even garden hose would flow better.
    Bill D

Are you sure they are leaking and it's not just humidity condensing on the metal? If it's just for a week or so I wouldn't worry about it unless the leak is so bad the catch pan is filling too fast.

Blog Entries
    I agree, but if the leak cannot be stopped, what else other than replace the union is the only alternative.

Buddy of mine is the water damage restoration and mold reduction business. Tells my he gets 5 or 6 jobs a years from leaky shark bite fixtures and insurance companies are starting to sue for the damages. * years ago, Based on his advice, I redid the plumbing in a small house and used PEX tubing for all the supply lines. I used the copper ring crimp fittings and haven't had one leak Plumbing so easy a Lawyer can do it. When my new house was built, we had one problem in the basement with one fitting the CPVC union leaked. The plumber installed a new CPVC union. I asked about a shark bite. He said he was being sued over a shark bite that leaked where three plumbers worked on a job. He said he does not use them but he gets repair calls because of them.

Interesting on the Sharkbites. I have four or five of them in accessible areas of my house. I can't solder to save my life so I used them to connect PEX to existing plumbing. I didn't want to spend $300 or more to have a plumber come in to solder four or five joints.

Blog Entries
    Sharkbites are great where soldering is difficult or in the wet, but I would never bury them in a wall. Just replaced a shower valve in my RV using the crimped rings on PEX, old connections were a hand tight plastic compression on PEX.
    NOW you tell me...