Thread: How to brighten up this Starrett rule

How to brighten up this Starrett rule

I picked up this Starrett rule at a yard sale for $1. It does not appear to be rusty, just really tarnished.

How do I brighten it up? I have tried a buffing wheel with white compound, but it really does not get it to shine.
    IMG_20210712_151653820.jpgIMG_20210712_151658137.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Matthew Curtis; 07-12-2021 at 4:06 PM.

Some of the Starrett Rules were produced in a satin finish. It could be this never was shiny.

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Looks like a hardened steel rule. Too shiny and it may be difficult to see the graduations in bright light due to reflection. I'd recommend a red scotchbrite pad

I have a 48" starrett that is oxidized like yours. I rarely use it as a rule, its more of straight edge to me, but i would give bar keepers friend a shot with a scotchbrite pad. Bon amie is another brand, i think. It is a slightly acidic fine powder that does a wonderful job on al-clad cookware. A few guys recommended it to me when i asked how to polish up an old cast iron top.

Heck of a find for $1 if its straight.

I use abrasive sanding block that are grit and rubber combined. I have them in coarse and in fine. The fine leaves a nice satin finish on my rules.
    I think this link takes you to them, it's been a long time since I bought them and I don't recall what they were called.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/k...d-block-coarse

Since you got it so cheap, have you considered sending it back to Starrett for reconditioning?
    https://www.starrett.com/repair-services

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    I use abrasive sanding block that are grit and rubber combined. I have them in coarse and in fine. The fine leaves a nice satin finish on my rules.
    I think this link takes you to them, it's been a long time since I bought them and I don't recall what they were called.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/k...d-block-coarse
    I have a set of these and they work great. I got them at Colonial Homestead in Ohio but don’t recall the brand. Barkeepers Friend scouring powder works well too. It’s a very fine grit with added oxcalic acid. I use it on my AllClad pans.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

What does Starrett charge for refurbishing?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Curtis View Post
    I picked up this Starrett rule at a yard sale for $1. It does not appear to be rusty, just really tarnished.
    How do I brighten it up? I have tried a buffing wheel with white compound, but it really does not get it to shine.
    To clean up things like instruments that have scribed lines and numbers I use fine sandpaper (800 or 1000 grit) and hold it backed with a rubber eraser. The stiff eraser keeps the abrasive from removing anything from the engraved lines. For more of a "shine" I'd continue with MicroMesh all the way up to the really fine 12000 grit which will polish the metal. I use the finer grits on metals and plastics. As good as a buffing wheel but keeps the surface flat.

I use the same thing with wood turnings, but start with a coarser paper, here some 400 grit, and many go to 800 or 1000. I call this method the soft sanding block.

sanding_soft_block.jpg

JKJ