Thread: Powermatic 3520A

Powermatic 3520A

Hi
    I have a chance to purchase a Powermatic 3520A lathe. I was looking for a chart or list of differences in the A,B and C models, anyone know where I can find this? Also any have any or know of any issues I should look for?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dave VanDewerker View Post
    Hi
    I have a chance to purchase a Powermatic 3520A lathe. I was looking for a chart or list of differences in the A,B and C models, anyone know where I can find this? Also any have any or know of any issues I should look for?
    thanks
    I don't know where to find a list of the differences but I'll bet you a quarter a google search will.

I don't know about the C but the A and B are very close. The B has a speed display on the front which most experienced turners never look at.
    I have a B and I have some friends with A models. Both have plenty of power. We are all exceeding pleased with our lathes!
    One significant thing I know about the C is it costs a lot more. You pay extra for new. I looked at the new features at one time and saw no "must have" which enticed me to consider buying.

With a used lathe pay no attention to the cosmetics. Make sure it turns on and runs, the speed ramps up, the levers to tighten the banjo and tailstock are tight. If the tailstock quill doesn't operate smoothly that's something that can usually be remedied quickly.
    If the belt is worn out, it's easily replaced. If the bearings are noisy or feel rough, they are not all that hard to replace.

I have two Jet 1642 lathes and a couple of minis and the 3520b. The others get little use.

I do recommend getting a bed extension. Sometimes people selling used lathes throw these in the deal.

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 07-14-2021 at 2:42 PM. Reason: fixed error

I don't know either. Don't have a 3520, although that was the lathe I originally wanted. But a quick search shows this;
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....0A-and-a-3520B

Hope this is some help.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I had one of the first 3520A models. Speed range was the biggest difference. On the A, low range went from almost zero up to 1500, and high range went from almost zero to 3000. On the B, they went from 50 to 1200, and from 50 to 3000. I didn't like that change. You need low range for coring, but 1200 is too slow for me for a lot of the smaller bowls I turned, and I didn't want to have to change speeds. Other than that, not much difference. The on/off button, variable speed button, and the phase converter can go out on you. They can be repaired.

robo hippy

Another visible change is the 3520a doesn't have the rpm readout on the front of the headstock, but I never needed that anyway.