Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cordless Lawn and Garden Tools

Cordless Lawn and Garden Tools

We've switched to mostly cordless outdoor tools as we get older. Pulling starting ropes is out of the question. To be efficent we try to stay with the same brand and battery power so they're interchangeable. To date we've had a Stihl string trimmer and chainsaw. The trimmer gears went out and fixing it was more than a new one. The Stihl saw works great. We then got a Greenworks hedge trimmer, string trimmer, and pole saw. The battery is really hard to get out of the charger and the tools, needing a tap with a rubber hammer. The hedge trimmer is growling so it won't be long. No response from Greenworks customer service after two trys. My question is, is there a battery operated tool company you use and have a good experience with?

Because my garage is filled with DeWalt tools, I ended up switching to their line of cordless lawn equipment. Thus far, I have the large leaf blower, the string trimmer and the chain saw. I actually like all of them a lot and will end up picking up the edger once it becomes available on a regular basis. In the spirit of full disclosure, the only reason I went with DeWalt is because that is the battery platform I already had, so there may be better options out there, maybe just not yellow in color.
    A wannabe woodworker!

I'm a big fan of my Milwaukee weedeater (with hedge trimmer attachment) and leaf blower. The electric chainsaw seems to work great so far too but I don't need a chainsaw too often. I don't have a giant lawn, but I can usually trim the whole thing and trim all of my hedges on a single charge with enough left over to blow off the driveway. I've never felt it to be underpowered. I don't live on a farm or anything though.

I bought milwaukees line. Have chainsaw, string trimmer(this is interchangeable with a pole saw, pole hedge trimmer) I got both of those as well as their blower.

The chainsaw is crazy fast. Faster than the stihl 251 I had. Its fast because the bar and chain are narrow and turn a bit faster then the gas saws. I had a 28" tree fall at the back of my property and with 1 8ah battery I got though it 9 times with battery to spare. with the smaller stuff I would go out with 1 battery and by the time it was dead I was too.

The blower is a bit underpowered but most cordless give you about the same.

The trimmer is great as well as the attachments

I dont know my own lawn I have a service, but they are more there for the 3 acres. They do a quick wacking and blowing but wont go near beds or walkways so I have my own stuff for that.

I picked up a Makita 18V string trimmer because I've transitioned to all Makita because of the batteries.
    It's only so-so.
    The 36V (takes two 18V) would have been a better choice, but, really, really expensive.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I've been using the Ryobi 40v for several years. String trimmer mostly, occasional hedge trimmer. Both work well, not quite as much power as gas but pretty good. For me, the ease and noise level outweigh any lack of power there may be.The string trimmer power head works with all the quick link type attachments so when I changed over I was able to use most of my attachments. There's also a home Depot around every corner if you need something, that might be a selling point for some.

Ego. Clearly a more refined, premium product than the other options.

I'm using more and more battery powered outdoor tools. Believe it or not, I opted for Baur from HFT because I already had batteries for my impact driver, so the blower, weed wacker, small trim chain saw, etc., were purchased for convenience. They work surprisingly well. But my needs are not "heavy duty", especially with the new property. The same battery is used for the little circular saw I recently bought to use for convenience at my storage unit and elsewhere for breaking down material.

If I were a heavy user, I certainly would have opted for a heavier duty, brand-name tool family, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I have two Ryobi L&G tools, a hedge trimmer and a string trimmer, both 40 volt. I've had the string trimmer for a couple of years and I am pleased with it. I just purchased the hedge trimmer, which is a brushless tool and it is impressive. The battery lasts a long time and the trimmer will cut anything up to 1", though it tends to gnaw through bigger pieces since the teeth move too rapidly for the larger pieces to get into the openings. The string trimmer can vibration weld the string together if you operate it at full speed. spraying silicone on the string helps. Mine converts to an edge trimmer and it does a good job of light lawn edging. I've found that after market string lasts much longer than the string that Ryobi sells. I now have two 40 volt tools and two interchangeable batteries.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I made this switch about 6 weeks ago, bought the EGO self propelled walk behind lawn mower, weed whacker, lawn edger, chain saw, pole saw.

For the edger and pole saw, I bought the multi head unit. Should have done this initially when I bought the weed whacker.

Although the lawn mower is self propelled, my lot is mostly flat and the lawn mower is so light, I mostly just push it and I'm a 160lb weakling.

The weed whacker has a self loading head, which so far, I've found the easiest to load and also the best at feeding new line out. Although the staple spoil if line is pretty weak compared to the commercial line I normally use.

Bought everything from local Ace hardware, but Lowes has a pretty good selection as well.

Very happy with the quality and ease of use.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fritz View Post
    We've switched to mostly cordless outdoor tools as we get older. Pulling starting ropes is out of the question. To be efficent we try to stay with the same brand and battery power so they're interchangeable. To date we've had a Stihl string trimmer and chainsaw. The trimmer gears went out and fixing it was more than a new one. The Stihl saw works great. We then got a Greenworks hedge trimmer, string trimmer, and pole saw. The battery is really hard to get out of the charger and the tools, needing a tap with a rubber hammer. The hedge trimmer is growling so it won't be long. No response from Greenworks customer service after two trys. My question is, is there a battery operated tool company you use and have a good experience with?
    I remain to be convinced that any battery-operated mower can mulch as well as my Toro Super Recycler. If somebody can demonstrate otherwise, be my guest.

The same goes with blowers, gas is the rule, battery is lame in comparison.

I do have a good complement of battery-operated (outdoor) tools, the various Milwaukee chain saws are sweet (torque rules.) My wife claims that their other outdoor implements are heavy and overpowered. I somewhat disagree. A bit heavier than the gas equivalents, I’ll grant that.

FWIW, if pulling a cord is an issue, that might only be the start of some difficulties, depending on other aspects of how the tool behaves, no matter what direction you go in.

It looks like the shortage of lithium has impacted the market. Seems the tool is available without the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fritz View Post
    It looks like the shortage of lithium has impacted the market. Seems the tool is available without the battery.
    In particular with Milwaukee, the batteries are so spendy, that if you catch them at the right time, the tool is effectively free. And so it goes.

Really liking the Ryobi 18v pole saw. It breaks down into three pieces, so it can stay in the toolbox on the truck. Last night, I shopped at the Home Depot site for another battery. One battery was $89, but they had several other combinations. I went with two 4 ah batteries, and a "free" leaf blower for $99.

I have the Stihl homeowner version of hedge trimmers, with the built in battery. I has three different safety switches that were pretty tiring, and aggravating to all operate at the same time, so I disabled all of them with metal duct tape, so it will operate when I pull the trigger. I have a long handled 2-stroke Stihl one, but this little one does fine on Boxwood, and Azalea bushes that can be easily reached. I doubt the built in battery lasts anything like as long as the heavy ones, but even this can do all the work I need to do on one charge.

Ryobi 40v chainsaw, weedeater (string + blade), hedge trimmer and leaf blower. The chainsaw uses too much oil and is a little wimpy compared to a Stihl MS180, which is a small gas chainsaw. I usually use it anyway because for most of the things I do it's good enough and more convenient. The others are excellent.
    Last edited by Alan Rutherford; 07-13-2021 at 7:53 AM.