Thread: LN 9 1/2 blade angle?

LN 9 1/2 blade angle?

All,
    Was able to aquire a good example of this plane. I am wanting to pick your brain on the original angle of the blade. Not sure the one in it is as it started its life.

Appreciate the info!
    Chris

The low angle block plane? 25 I think

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Herzog View Post
    All,
    Was able to aquire a good example of this plane. I am wanting to pick your brain on the original angle of the blade. Not sure the one in it is as it started its life.

Appreciate the info!
    Chris
    Blade is 25 plane it 12. Effective angle is 37

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by john zulu View Post
    Blade is 25 plane it 12. Effective angle is 37
    Actually the #9-1/2 is bedded at 20º.

Looking at the LN site it appears the #9-1/2 isn't currently offered. There statement description of their block planes says this:

All of our Block planes have the blade bedded at 12°, with the exception of the No. 101 Violin Maker's Plane, which is bedded at 20°. We grind a 25° bevel on our block plane blades, making the cutting angle 37°. This works well in low angle planes for end grain and general purpose work.
    This is a Stanley #9-1/2:

Side.jpg

This type of adjuster isn't used on low angle block planes.

The advantage of a bevel up plane is the bevel can be ground at a steeper angle to work with gnarly grain. The low angle block plane can produce a nice surface on end grain.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The LN #9 1/2 bock plane uses the same blade as the LN #60 1/2 block plane. Both are bevelled at 25 degrees.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    The LN #9 1/2 bock plane uses the same blade as the LN #60 1/2 block plane. Both are bevelled at 25 degrees.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    And here my thought was the LN #9-1/2 was a reproduction of the Stanley. Even at my age, something new can be learned every day.

Looking at Patrick Leach's Blood & Gore revealed one of his typos:

#9 1/2 Block plane, 6"L, 1 3/4"W (1 5/8"W 1909 on), 1 1/2lbs, 1873-1981.

#60 Block plane, 6"L, 1 1/2"W (1 3/8"W 1914 onward), 1 1/4lbs, 1898-1950

#60 1/2 Block plane, 6"L, 1 1/2"W, 1 1/4lbs, 1902-1982.

The standard low angle block plane most of us recognize. It is identical in every way to the #60, except in its finish; its trim is japanned.
    The blade for the #60-1/2 is stated as larger than the blade on the #60 when the two are supposed to be "identical in every way, except the finish."

A little deeper searching shows the LN #9-1/2 does use a 1-3/8" blade.

This makes me wonder why use a block plane with a bench plane angle of attack? The only advantage would be the ability to add a steeper bevel. There is one standard angle block plane in my shop. It mostly sits unused. There are a few 'special purpose' block planes at standard angle that are not used a lot. Most of the time one of my small bench planes, #1 or #2 are more convenient for the job.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Well, THIS No. 9-1/2 has been getting used..
    F&P Box Project, Busy Bench.JPG
    Along with the Big Boys...
    F&P Box Project, end not square, nor edge.JPG

A little Ash end grain.....
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Thanks everyone! I found it to be 30 degrees today and have reworked it back to 25 degrees. Test cuts looked fantastic and it will be a good addition to the herd.

Much appreciated!
    Chris