Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ranges with double ovens

If an electric oven makes the room warm the gas oven makes it hot. Kind of like cracking the door on an electric oven.

You're still generating the same basic number of BTUs to bake with either heat source. My guess is that an electric oven dissipates the heat over a much longer period of time since there is no vent like on a gas oven. I generally turn on the vent fan when using the oven in the summer although I am also pulling out some cooled air.

My first house had a gas oven and I don't recall it getting hotter, but that was a while ago. I did think the gas oven didn't bake as nice as the electric ovens I had had at my parent's house and my apartment.

A gas oven does need to vent the combustion fumes into the kitchen, an electric oven does not so gas heats the house more. I'll try to put some numbers on it.

Say the oven burns at 80% efficiency, it must dump something like 20% of the input into the kitchen to dispose of the fumes. This rate will not change when the oven is not burning at high fire. It will dump 20% of the high fire rate all the time. So if the oven needs to burn at a rate of 60% for a given task it will dump 20/60 or 1/3 of the heat into the kitchen.

Let's not forget heat that leaks from the body of the oven. This might be the same for gas or electric, say 5%. Add a couple % for peeking in to see if the cookies are done and we have 33 + 5 + 2 = 40% for gas vs 7% for electric. Yes a gas stove needs a vent that goes outside, not just back into the kitchen.

Older gas ovens used a chimney. They dropped that i 1960's and told everyone you had to buy a vent hood and run it whenever the oven was on. No a days we would call this a feature not a downgrade.
    Entrophy tells us that all energy consumed by the oven ends up inside the house. An electric oven just takes longer to transfer all the heat into the room. Unless it has make up ducts, no home ones do, a vent hood pumps conditioned air outside at a good pace.
    Bill D

We had a dual fuel range. At the time, the all gas ranges we saw did not have self cleaning ovens. The dual fuel with electric oven did. That cemented the deal for us! We did find the electric oven to work very well. Ours was an Electrolux Icon.

We (me really) recently redid our kitchen. (I built the cabinets from cherry via a SMC source and did all the other plumbing, electrical, flooring, drywall work myself. But that s not wt you asked.)

We chose a Kitchenaid Dual Fuel range with two ovens. The cooktop is gas, the ovens are electric. The larger (bottom) oven is convection. It has been in service now for about 8 months. Dual ovens was a good decision for us. You can do two dishes at the same time at different temperatures. We use that feature! Not all the time, but it is available. Depending on the height of the dish, the top oven gets used since it heats up quicker. We have never encountered a size restriction with the lower oven.

Good luck choosing,
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    A gas oven does need to vent the combustion fumes into the kitchen, an electric oven does not so gas heats the house more. I'll try to put some numbers on it.

Say the oven burns at 80% efficiency, it must dump something like 20% of the input into the kitchen to dispose of the fumes. This rate will not change when the oven is not burning at high fire. It will dump 20% of the high fire rate all the time. So if the oven needs to burn at a rate of 60% for a given task it will dump 20/60 or 1/3 of the heat into the kitchen.

Let's not forget heat that leaks from the body of the oven. This might be the same for gas or electric, say 5%. Add a couple % for peeking in to see if the cookies are done and we have 33 + 5 + 2 = 40% for gas vs 7% for electric. Yes a gas stove needs a vent that goes outside, not just back into the kitchen.
    I think your efficiencies are way off. Remember the gas oven needs a source of air. It does take a lot of air, which is generally at room temperature (i.e. the make up air cools off everything).

An article on the Green Building website below quotes a Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory study with Electric ovens at 12-14% and gas at about 6%-7%. It looks like they define cooking efficiency as heat transferred to the food.
    https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com...icient-cooking

I did think it interesting that the self-cleaning models were more efficient due to their increased insulation. (just don't use the self cleaning feature)

As in everything more insulation is better. On a side note, if you want your pot of water to boil quicker put a lid on it.

John

Electric ovens have vents, too. A couple of stoves ago, we had an electric with coil-style elements on the range. The oven vented under the right-rear range element. With the oven on 350 or so and the burner off, the burner would get too hot to touch. A more recent glass-top electric had the oven vent in the "backsplash" part of the range.

Our GE electric oven vents out at the bottom front just above the floor. The air that comes out never really feels 'warm', even with the oven at 475. While all the heat will eventually end up in the house, it never noticeably warms up the room. Takes hours to fully cool down...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    In our last house, we had a dual fuel range with gas cooktop and double oven with the smaller one on top. We seldom used the lower one. The small oven was great for 90% of what we did. It heated up in a flash.

For our current house, we got the double oven again. This time we went with an induction cooktop and will never go back to gas. I didn’t like cleaning all the nooks and crannies of the gas cooktop. I was never satisfied with the simmer with gas until I got a simmer plate. The glass induction top heats faster than our gas one did and is a snap to clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    In our last house, we had a dual fuel range with gas cooktop and double oven with the smaller one on top. We seldom used the lower one. The small oven was great for 90% of what we did. It heated up in a flash.

For our current house, we got the double oven again. This time we went with an induction cooktop and will never go back to gas. I didn’t like cleaning all the nooks and crannies of the gas cooktop. I was never satisfied with the simmer with gas until I got a simmer plate. The glass induction top heats faster than our gas one did and is a snap to clean.
    Good to hear. We've settled on a dual oven induction range as part of our kitchen remodel. I expect we'll mostly use the smaller oven except when entertaining, which we used to do fairly often and hope to again soon. But even when it's just the two of us, we tend to cook several things on the weekend and have leftovers during the week, so there are plenty of times when a second real oven will get used. We have gas, and could have gone with a gas range or dual fuel, but the air quality issues with gas are a real concern. I trust myself to turn on the vent before lighting a burner and leaving the vent run, but my wife would just never do it.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

There is a good chance I will go for an induction range the next time I need a range. I am plumbed for both gas and 50 amp electric at the range. I have dual fuel now. I have solar so I would prefer to use electricity.

Have a double oven and use the smaller top one 95% of the time.

Do realize a double oven does not have a drawer in the bottom, We used it to store lids and had to fined a new storage place.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

We just bought a range with a double over this spring and really like it. For small stuff, we use the small oven. Being able to cook multiple items at different temps at the same time is nice as well.

The one downside is that bigger oven is at the bottom which is basically at floor level--that is a long way to bend down these days.