Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Convince me I need a track saw part 2.

Tom:

You don’t need a track saw.
    Life is too short for dull sandpaper.

Like everything in woodworking, there are 10+ ways to do every operation. For me, it depends on the tools I have available, precision required, and speed required. And not everyone works on the same projects. I enjoy using my track saw to break down sheet goods on my garage floor as opposed to wrestling them up onto my table saw. But i've also found a bunch of cool uses for it depending on the project. Anytime I need a straight cut at some weird angle, I use a track saw. Trimming chair legs level before the final glue up? Track saw...

And another vote for the UJK Parf Guide system if you want precision holes. I tried my own jigs, the Woodpeckers version, and the Parf guide gave me the best results.

Where did Tom go...

Tom,

Any accomplished wood worker that is happy with their setup does not need a track saw in my opinion. I think you might like one if you had one but I do not think you need it.

I agree that Festools MFT is an expensive solution. I find that true for Festools in general although I love my Domino XL. It is not necessary to buy a MFT, however. My outfeed/assembly table is also my track saw cutting table (small shop) and is built using ideas from Ron Paulk (who publishes lots of youtubes). It has two layers of 3/4 plywood separated by 8 inches making sort of a torsion box. But the lower layer of plywood becomes the shelf for the frequently used tools so the accessory table gets less cluttered. I used a router jig from woodrave to bore the holes but there is a better triangulation jig available now and there is always the option to just pay somebody with a CNC to make you one. Or use a MFT replacement top if it is big enough. My point is just that there are many other ways to get the functionality of a MFT without spending nearly as much money.

But still if what you already have works well for you, there isn't anything a track saw offers that cannot be done well other ways. I spent a year or two learning how I wanted to use my track saw - there is a learning curve like a lot of new tools. I spent the time because my shop is small and I am convinced it is the best way to deal with full sheets in a small shop. Large shops have more options.

Unless you use a lot of sheet goods in your work a track is probably not a necessity. However a track saw setup has a lot of advantages. The only thing I’d recommend is don’t get a cheap knockoff of the brands that were there in the beginning. There are other good brands besides Festool but I will never be sorry that I bought Festool because of the accuracy and dust collection alone. I have put it to more uses than sheet goods and have always been satisfied.

A track is not a necessity. However a track saw setup has a lot of advantages. The only thing I’d recommend is don’t get a cheap knockoff of the brands that were there in the beginning. There are other good brands besides Festool but I will never be sorry that I bought Festool because of the accuracy and dust collection alone. I have put it to many uses besides sheet goods and have always been satisfied.

That Menards TS is junk. At least the rails are - only one rail connector so it’s flexy. I returned it.

Got the Wen for $200 including 110” of track and clamps. I’ve been very happy with it for the small investment.

I wouldn't recommend any low priced track saw/track combos. If those who bought them can say that they are completely happy with them rather than "happy for the small investment" I'd say it was a bargain. Otherwise, track saws like Makita, Dewalt, Festool, Mafell with their tracks are good investments in quality tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post
    I wouldn't recommend any low priced track saw/track combos. If those who bought them can say that they are completely happy with them rather than "happy for the small investment" I'd say it was a bargain. Otherwise, track saws like Makita, Dewalt, Festool, Mafell with their tracks are good investments in quality tools.
    Some of have a budget and like to save some money Randy. It’s like buying a Honda instead of Porsche. I don’t need a top speed of 200 or 0-60 in 3s.

I’m completely happy with my Wen setup, only thing it isn’t good at is dust collection which I can live with.

Got the Wen for $200 including 110” of track and clamps. I’ve been very happy with it for the small investment.
    I'm leaning more and more towards Wen products. They seem to offer a lot of value.
    I believe I read somewhere that the Wen will fit Festool and Makita tracks.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I have the Bora NGX setup. I have a couple of skill type saws so one is permenatly mounted to the Bora base. I like that it breaks down, easier to store. But it does have it's flaws. I changed out the phillips head screws for cap screws and enlarged the holes so I could get it nice and straight. I also use it with a router and dado jig to make dados/rabbets when building cabinets. With a few saw horses and a sheet of foam board, I can slide full sheets of plywood out of my truck and break them down quickly.

I am a hobbyist and have two track saws, a Makita and a Festool TS 75. They both serve a purpose and I love them both. They take up little space and are very versatile. Buy one and try it for a while, you will like it.

Before we had internet forums we had Norm "selling" us new tools. I bought the PC biscuit joiner, used it once or twice and sold it. Now we have the internet. One guy gets a track saw and we all think we need them.
    For me my homemade track works fine. I haven't had trouble getting a straight cut nor do I have chip out issues. Mine has a square so it only takes lining up with one pencil mark. I don't have dust collection but don't care. I can use a broom........

Seems like lots of folks have lots of disposable income these days- just try to buy a new side by side, boat, RV, house, etc. Same with tools...

Me I am gonna buy a new Bronco....