Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3hp Baldor single phase capacitors

3hp Baldor single phase capacitors

I bought this PM 66 that had been sitting for about 8 years in a garage. When I got it home I found a silver capacitor 97f9632 25 uf + 8 - 6%. It would not start the saw, it just hummed. I'm looking for capacitor size and whether it takes a start and run capacitor. There are three wires coming from the motor with one going through the centrifugal switch. The saw dates to 1987 (sn 876672038) and it took a bit to free it all up. I replaced the 3 belts as well. While changing the belts I found the motor pulley about 1/2-3/4" off the arbor pulley and had to adjust it lo align the bels. I guess someone had been tinkering with it. I was hoping someone has been down this rabbit hole and may have the info handy. Thanks, Bill
    Last edited by bill mullaley; 07-11-2021 at 12:05 PM.

25of. do you mean uf?
    Do you mean it came with no caps at all? do you know how they should be wired in. voltage? 50 or 60 HZ etc.
    Bill D.

https://inspectapedia.com/electric/M..._Selection.php

Yes I meant uf. And no it only had the one. I can tell what wire is what by ohming them, but no if it takes 2 I'm not sure how it needs to b. It's 60hz. I was hoping someone with that machine could look and see what's on their motor. Thanks, Bill M.

I brought home a gently-used 2001 PM66 last year, 3HP Baldor motor, ran fine when tested but after disassembly, cleanup and reassembly it wouldn’t run - the motor would only turn slowly (and loudly). Replaced the start and run capacitors (two separate trips) and no change. Wiring all looked fine. Finally I noticed an arc was occurring inside the starter when the start button was pressed (required removal of the starter cover - be careful). Since that didn’t seem safe/normal I looked a little closer and found the wire from one leg of the supply line wasn’t captured well by the screw terminal. Fixed that and I was good-to-go.

Any chance you still have the capacitor info? Mine only came with one and won't start the motor. Thanks, Bill M.

I could be wrong, but Start capacitor will be made of black plastic and run capacitor will me made of aluminum or silver as you describe

That's correct. I'm looking for the original sizes if possible.
    Thanks, Bill M.

Does the motor have a nameplate? Post a picture of the nameplate, plus the name of the manufacturer and the model number of the motor. With that someone can look up the motor specifications and perhaps even the wiring diagram.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

IMG_1245.jpg
    This is the nameplate for the motor, hope it helps. Thanks, Bill M.
    Don't know why it's upside down...

Do you have room for two capacitors? I would think you do.
    Capacitor sizing is somewhat of a mystery to me. There is some math that will get you close. Luckily it's a Baldor, their technical service is very helpful. I don't work on a lot of FHP motors, but I think the capacitor you are using is way too small. I've never seen a capacitor start/run with a single capacitor. The run capacitor is normally oil filled. The one you have is probably a start cap for a residential A/C condenser. I've attached a diagram for a 5 HP motor. It'll at least help you sort out the three wires. Give Baldor a call Monday, they will have the correct single line, and capacitor specs for our motor.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Stan I'll do that. Bill M.

No problem, sorry I couldn't be more helpful. I'd ring out the motor to make sure there aren't any obvious phase to phase or phase to ground shorts. I'd guess it was taken apart for a reason. The single line I posted should match your motor.

Any chance the cap you have is two in one with three leads instead of two?
    Bill D.

Pretty sure the motors good. Tried a cap I had but it was too high a uf and I shut it off right away. That’s why I’m looking for the original capacitors. Thanks Bill M.
    Last edited by bill mullaley; 07-12-2021 at 9:25 AM.

No, it only has two terminals.
    Bill M.