Thread: Wine Rack

Wine Rack

My daughter has twisted my arm to build a kitchen cabinet component that will have a pull out trash/recycycle drawer, a wine rack and a microwave section. She wants all painted expect the wine portion. This has me scratching my head on the design and cutting of the wine section as I assume she will want the diamond shaped wine rack. Anyone with esperience in this type of build? I am in the scratch head portion and will have to build this in a couple of months.

I would buy the wine rack ‘frames’ (one front, one back) first, then size it and the other parts accordingly. One place I know of to buy the wine rack is Woodworkers Tool and Supply in Houston. I’m sure there are lots of other places.

Best of luck to you. Be sure to post some pix of the ‘during’ and ‘after’.
    Last edited by Walter Mooney; 07-10-2021 at 1:44 PM. Reason: Spelling

My experience with wine racks is they take me much much longer than I predict. They involve lots of pieces of wood, and lots of joinery. And getting finish on all of those pieces, particularly way inside the rack, is a bear.

There is also the fact that while wine racks look nice, they are not necessarily the best place to actually store wine...perhaps your "client" would reconsider on this on that basis if she likes to buy and enjoy good wines.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It is possible to buy good wine in huge bottles that will not fit in a normal rack.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    It is possible to buy good wine in huge bottles that will not fit in a normal rack.
    Bill
    It is also possible to drink them before they ever hit the rack.

I would definitely look into wine fridges instead of a wine rack. Especially in a kitchen where temperatures can go up with cooking. The wine will store far, far better that way.

We chose ones from Wine Enthusiast. Been pretty happy with them. Many choices.

They also sell wine racks.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

A wine rack not in the basement is for short term storage only. No need to hold more then a few bottles unless you have big parties that consume more then a case at a time.
    Bill D

https://winefolly.com/tips/wine-bottle-sizes/
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 07-11-2021 at 2:20 PM.

We have one in our kitchen and one at the wetbar. The one in the kitchen is shelves with angled pieces that catch the bottles on each side. There are multiple shelves for the height of the base cabinet and it is about 12" wide or so, 3 bottles per shelf. The one at the wetbar is a single shelf under a 2-door upper cabinet and has the circular openings to catch the bottom (at the back) and the shoulder (at the front), tilting the bottles to the front.

A friend of ours had a wine cellar (separate A/C just for the cellar) and all the red wine was in square openings framed with western cedar. I don't think there was any finish on this. If it was, it may have been a light coat of shellac sanded back. Each bottle tilted to the front and there was runners from the front to the back. I enjoyed looking at the woodwork in there as much as anything.

That's a pretty big cabinet. Will it be all under the countertop or go vertical?

A couple of my preferences:
    -A microwave above the countertop presents a hazard, spilled soup can really burn you.
    -Putting the trash into a cabinet is a recipe for a stinky cabinet with the possibility of flies and maggots.
    -Wine comes in various sized bottles and a rack to accommodate will need to be flexible, and a space hog. We keep it in the basement in boxes that can accommodate variations.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    T
    -A microwave above the countertop presents a hazard, spilled soup can really burn you.
    And yet, over-stove microwaves have been a staple in small kitchens for "eons" now. I'm stuck with one at the present time, but it will eventually be replaced with proper venting as there is no venting at all right now. Typical 1990s kitchen.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...