Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: klinker table - 1

klinker table - 1

First, this is my version of a table made by Darrell Peart. Kudos to him for really outstanding work.

20210709_153938.jpg 20210709_154027.jpg 20210709_153950.jpg 20210709_153955.jpg

What drew me to this table were the exposed splines in the top, and the way each "pie" piece had the grain merging at a center point. The exposed splines seem like an evolutionary step in Arts and Crafts design: the joinery is not only celebrated as a design element, but the actual joinery is exposed along its working length. I gotta admit I was quite taken with it. So much so that in my original day dream (plans - we don't need no stinkin' plans!) I intended to make the loose tenons between the legs exposed for about a 1/4".
    20210604_151459.jpg

But after dry fitting everything, I changed my mind: it just didn't look right. It looked like a mistake....er, feature. And a lot of work was used making the mortise depth exact, and the purple heart tenons all a perfect fit. I made the mortises using a cordless router, all a 1/4", with this rube goldberg thing:
    20210518_165823.jpg

and the tenons all got planed to fit:
    20210602_153519.jpg 20210602_154114.jpg .

Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

part 2

The top was made using a jig on the table saw sled, then fitted together and the curves drawn free hand after machining for the splines, which are also purple heart, from scraps left over from another project.

20210519_173158.jpg 20210519_170132.jpg 20210519_175720.jpg

Anywho, thanks for looking. One last thing: I like to pre-finish everything and this was no exception. But between completing all the parts and the finishing I had cataract surgery. I had planned it this way because there would be no dust to get in my eyes - thought I was pretty smart. However the bottles I store finishes in all look the same, but are labeled. Unfortunately I grabbed the correct finish for the legs, Watco Red Mahogany, and the next day all I saw was red mahogany. Of course it was the red mahogany transtint in DNA. I didn't notice until I started working the DNA into the top and realized something was a miss. Much sanding later - ya, there's the dust! - a top that started out at a light 5/8" was transformed into a top that is heavy 1/2"

Very nice...I have made finishing mistakes that I had to sand out as well...Having to sand it out just makes you remember the mistake longer.
    Chris

Really nice Bill! I'm adding this to my "someday" list. The top is stunning and I love the overall proportions.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Super nice work bill. Very cool
    Aj

Wow, that is excellent Bill. So, the top is made of solid wedges (i.e., not veneer)? How do you account for wood movement at the wide, outside radius?
    < insert spurious quote here >

Very cool design Bill. I really like it. Nice work l
    Charlie Jones

Very cool design there. Looks like a lot of work but the end result is unique.

That's a really nice table! It's striking because of the kewel contrast that the irregular (but mirrored) edges in the divided top compared to the regular and ordered design of the understructure. It makes you "look"...and I like that!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Really nice! Did you use a router to make the grooves after partial assembly? I would be concerned (afraid and paralyzed) about cutting those across the end grain. Thanks for sharing another piece of your outstanding work!

BTW, I think of klinkers as the solid masses removed from the bottom of coal fired furnaces. What is the origin in your context?
    Last edited by David Utterback; 07-10-2021 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Added klinker question
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Wow, that is excellent Bill. So, the top is made of solid wedges (i.e., not veneer)? How do you account for wood movement at the wide, outside radius?
    Thanks Stan. I only glued the splines at the center half. Hope that works - I really had no other ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by David Utterback View Post
    Really nice! Did you use a router to make the grooves after partial assembly? I would be concerned (afraid and paralyzed) about cutting those across the end grain. Thanks for sharing another piece of your outstanding work!BTW, I think of klinkers as the solid masses removed from the bottom of coal fired furnaces. What is the origin in your context?
    Thanks David. No, did not use a router. I drew the lines free hand and then cut along the lines on my new 9" Wen band saw. Of course, I cut them after I routed for the splines. And "klinker" is from Peart's web site. No idea how he came up with that name, but, ya, I always thought of klinkers like you did. Here's his web site: https://furnituremaker.com/portfolio...ocktail-table/

That is a really striking table. Nice work.

Bill, this table is strikingly beautiful! The woods, the combination of irregular and straight lines, the finish. Everything about it makes this table strikingly beautiful! Well done Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Unique and artistic Bill - very nice!