Thread: Mystery Gouge

Mystery Gouge

I bought this from a friend selling tools from someone who passed. It 5/8” diameter and has a Glaser handle and the original turner said he like the handle and replaced the cutter. I am unsure what cutter this is. I kind os suspect it may be a bottom of the bowl cutter, but don’t have a clue to the maker. The metal is dark like V10. Picture shows it compared to my Thompson bowl gouge. I know the grind is concave and improper in the second photo.

827951C8-7683-4628-A7DA-22A9E8B6BAA9_1_201_a.jpg A5E6C197-F2C3-4270-B33F-6A866CC783D2_1_201_a.jpeg
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

There use to be a line of gouges made by P&N that were black and were M2 HSS.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Is there any way to determine between V10 and M2?
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Quote Originally Posted by William C Rogers View Post
    Is there any way to determine between V10 and M2?
    Cindy Drozda has an article about 10V and M2: http://www.cindydrozda.com/html/ToolSteel.html

You might also call Doug Thompson and ask. Perhaps he would recognize the unknown tool if you sent photos, perhaps from different angles, a closeup of the machined end of the flute might help. I don't remember seeing one where the top was machined flat like that; perhaps that would be a clue.

JKJ

JKJ, I sent an email to Doug. The email address on his web site wouldn’t work, so I used the address he had for the AAW 2020n Trade Show. Not sure he will get that.

JKJ, I sent an email to Doug. The email address on his web site wouldn’t work, so I used the address he had for the AAW 2020n Trade Show. Not sure he will get that.
    I usually just call him on the phone. If you don't hear from him you might try that. Sometimes he's pretty busy.

But if I had one and couldn't find out what it was I'd just sharpen it to suit me and use it.

Well I removed the black lacquer and confirmed this is a Thompson BOB gouge.

956C8598-75C1-433A-8682-9EEFF98D4DA0_1_201_a.jpg

[QUOTE=William C Rogers;3130853]Well I removed the black lacquer and confirmed this is a Thompson BOB gouge.

Ha! Amazing what a little cleanup will reveal!

I looked at over 30 of my Thompson tools (gouges, skews, scrapers, round stock) and very few of them included the "10V" in the etching. Doug said he couldn't remember when it included that but it might have been when he was etching by hand before he got the laser system. None made from 1/4" round stock had any kind of etching.

I did talk to Doug. When I described your Mystery Gouge he also told me it was a bottom bowl gouge. His comment was exactly what I was going to say: the gouge you have is NOT ground optimally for the bottom of a bowl. But a few minutes at the grinder will fix that.

For any one who knows him, Doug has moved to FL, healthy and happy, still making and selling tools but with some excellent family help. I'm ordering a few more tools (since I'm running low ) and a couple of T-shirts since mine are getting worse for the wear.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Well I removed the black lacquer and confirmed this is a Thompson BOB gouge.
    Ha! Amazing what a little cleanup will reveal!

I looked at over 30 of my Thompson tools (gouges, skews, scrapers, round stock) and very few of them included the "10V" in the etching. Doug said he couldn't remember when it included that but it might have been when he was etching by hand before he got the laser system. None made from 1/4" round stock had any kind of etching.

I did talk to Doug. When I described your Mystery Gouge he also told me it was a bottom bowl gouge. His comment was exactly what I was going to say: the gouge you have is NOT ground optimally for the bottom of a bowl. But a few minutes at the grinder will fix that.

For any one who knows him, Doug has moved to FL, healthy and happy, still making and selling tools but with some excellent family help. I'm ordering a few more tools (since I'm running low ) and a couple of T-shirts since mine are getting worse for the wear.

JKJ
    I sent Doug a picture yesterday and he confirmed it was a BOB and sharpened incorrectly. The gouge was epoxied in a Glaser handle. I’m guessing when the original tool was removed a torch was used and the finish was damaged. Black lacquer was applied and covered the Thompson etching after it was epoxied in. The Glaser handle is 18” and lead filled. It was darn near impossible for me to put it a jig for grinding. I used a heat gun to remove the gouge, but didn’t damage the black lacquer paint. I put set screws in the handle for future sharpening.
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 07-13-2021 at 11:19 AM. Reason: fixed quote tags

Yeah. Doug used to make tools specifically to fit the glazer handles when he first started and there was no reliable source for that tool steel. The new ones are sized slightly different.

[QUOTE=John K Jordan;3130910]

JKJ
    Please explain something for me in case I missed or misunderstood it it.
    What exactly is the difference (other than grind) between a DT BOB gouge and a DT "regular" bowl gouge?
    Is it simply the same tool with a different grind OR is it a gouge with a different shaped flute optimized for BOB.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    What exactly is the difference (other than grind) between a DT BOB gouge and a DT "regular" bowl gouge?
    Is it simply the same tool with a different grind OR is it a gouge with a different shaped flute optimized for BOB.
    Thanks
    I don't know if there is a consensus about the gouge and flute shape. I haven't seen Doug's bottom gouge but plan on ordering one to take a look and try to understand. I know you can grind just about any bowl gouge to use successfully on the inside bottom of the bowl. There are lots of different opinions about the grind but I think the biggest thing is just get the grind angle in the ball park. Some grind with swept-back wings and some less swept back. Sir Thompson told me he recommends grinding straight across just as if it were a spindle roughing gouge. However, the photos on his web site don't show that (and they show a different gouge design than the one pictured here). I plan on asking him when I get time to call again.

I personally don't use one. I prefer to use one of the Hunter tools to shape followed by my special NRS grind followed by hand scraping, then a little sanding to finish up.

[QUOTE=Edward Weber;3131980]
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post

Thanks
    Edward

Here is a picture with some dimensions. The normal Thompson bowl gouge is compared to the “??” that is the BOB on the right. It’s main purpose is for the inside bowls shaping and taking final cuts. I’m no expert and there may be other uses. The reduced flute height is to help keep from rubbing the heal of the tool. In this picture the profile is ground incorrectly. I did begin to grind it like a SRG and used it one time so far. Worked well, but need to fully grind the correct profile to get the benefit. I have some Hunter carbide, but rarely use them. I just prefer a freshly sharpened traditional gouge. For me nothing like a fresh sharpened traditional gouge.

JKJ I think Doug only uses one picture for all his gouges.

827951C8-7683-4628-A7DA-22A9E8B6BAA9_1_201_a.jpg
    Last edited by William C Rogers; 07-18-2021 at 6:56 AM.

I am well versed in the use of gouges, I just wanted to know about the flute shape and if there was an actual difference.
    The Thompson tool site does not have informative photos like the comparison you posted. I have several Thompson tools but I don't like buying something on someones description, I would rather see an actual photo.
    As I mentioned in another thread, some consider a simple change in grind profile to be a whole different tool. Some tools are actually a different design (flute shape)
    This makes it difficult to know what exactly people are talking about when the refer to a BOB gouge. Is it a bowl gouge with a straight grind or a specialized tool.