Thread: HVLP vs LVLP

Blog Entries

HVLP vs LVLP

Hi,

It sounds like a good option is to own a LVLP + small compressor for finishing, but if you need to paint or use a thicker material you'll need a HVLP with a bigger compressor?

So, if you only want to own one compressor + gun you should go w/ HVLP?

Cheers,

Blog Entries
    Still curious what people thought about LVLP vs HVLP. I emailed Jeff and called him twice, but kind of got a watered down answer. Is the finish quality of both the same / very close?

Cheers,

I don't know that there is really that much difference between them. The LVLP guns are just newer, and probably use less air. Gun size makes a difference too, regardless of what category the manufacturers put one in. My little Iwata LPH80 is called an HVLP, I think, but it requires so little air that it will run off of about any compressor.

I don't think there is enough difference, if any, to use one over the other. I've never gotten the best results from any gun without a good supply of Clean air.

For maximum flexibility get a compressor large enough to supply the largest gun you want to use. To be specific, if you have a compressor that can supply about 13 cfm at 40 psi you can use most any HVLP gun. My 60 gal compressor supplies about 10 cfm at 40 psi. It works well with the Qualspray AM-6008 HVLP gun I use most with it, but it's not going to supply enough air for some of the larger guns with higher output and a wider maximum fan width.

Qualspray offers a LVLP gun in the AM-6008 line that works well with only 6 - 8 cfm. Supposedly, the only penalty is a narrower maximum fan width.

John

I have a 6008 gravity gun. It puts out considerably less material than my CAT HVLP gun- no surprise given that it uses almost twice as much air. If you want to use an LVLP gun to spray thicker finishes the setup John has with a pressurized cup is probably the way to go.