Thread: Where can I buy Pre-cat Lacquer?

Where can I buy Pre-cat Lacquer?

I am a furniture maker that has been spraying thinned brushing lacquer for about a year, but I wanted to finally move up to something better. I visited my local Sherwin Williams and they were completely unhelpful. I was told that he didn't know anything about lacquer and I would have to drive over an hour away to a store that carried it? OK, whatever, I'll order it online. I can't find it anywhere? I see tons of water based lacquer, but this is not what I want, (I have an oil based stain mixture that I have not been able to reproduce using water based stain). So, where can I buy a good Pre-cat Lacquer online?

Thanks for any help

I don't know where you've looked but it seems to be available many places. Is there a specific bran you're looking for?
    One issue with buying online is you may not know the date or shelf life remaining, be sure to check before you buy something out of date.

Quote Originally Posted by David Justice View Post
    I am a furniture maker that has been spraying thinned brushing lacquer for about a year, but I wanted to finally move up to something better. I visited my local Sherwin Williams and they were completely unhelpful. I was told that he didn't know anything about lacquer and I would have to drive over an hour away to a store that carried it? OK, whatever, I'll order it online. I can't find it anywhere? I see tons of water based lacquer, but this is not what I want, (I have an oil based stain mixture that I have not been able to reproduce using water based stain). So, where can I buy a good Pre-cat Lacquer online?

Thanks for any help

The Sherwin Williams store in Reidsville stocks Pre-Cat lacquer. Also the Winston Salem store off Stradford carries it. Contact me and I'll give you my salesmans number.

I may be able to help/save you some money? I buy wholesale. I use the T77F38 product(which is dull-rubbed), but have access to others. I'm near Stoneville/ Madison-Mayodan Area.

Tony
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

I think i remember someone mentioning that they cannot sell it unmixed. So if you order online I would hope it was mixed to order.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    I think i remember someone mentioning that they cannot sell it unmixed. So if you order online I would hope it was mixed to order.

I buy all my Sherwin-Williams Pre-Cat lacquer uncatalyzed and mix myself as I use it. Two year shelf life on uncatalyzed, ninety days on catalyzed.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Joyce View Post
    I buy all my Sherwin-Williams Pre-Cat lacquer uncatalyzed and mix myself as I use it. Two year shelf life on uncatalyzed, ninety days on catalyzed.
    Interesting. I was told that wasn't an option when I picked up some from the Tampa Sherwin-Williams store. The lacquer that is on their website that states 1 year shelf life, the salesman had never heard of.

Kind of a pain to have to drive 45 min to get up there. I typically buy pre-cat lacquer from a local paint store. Great service, nice product. Check around for local non-chain stores. And the lacquer was about half the price of the Sherwin-Williams product.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 08-05-2021 at 9:00 AM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.