Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Version of Garrett Hack's Huntboard

My Version of Garrett Hack's Huntboard

I was asked to post this separately, having already posted in the thread entitled "Anyone Building Anything?"

Garrett Hack’s Huntboard (my version with a more Shaker emphasis)

I started this build in late April, and just finished last week. Its my version of Garrett Hack’s Huntboard. I worked from plans available through Fine Woodworking. I kept to the plan mostly, with some minor changes to dimensions and features.

Wood: Curly and Quarter-Sawn Cherry, with Bloodwood and Ebony Accents (interior and drawer sides of Eastern White Pine

Finish: OSMO Poly-X Oil/Wax

Hardware: Brusso Knife Hinges and Ball Catches.The door pulls are ebony Viola tuning pegs which I modified on the lathe to work as pulls.

Features: A nice curve to the front/back/sides of the top give this a nice look. It is quite tall, and the height coupled with the tapered legs give it a somewhat graceful look. Drawers feature hand-cut dovetails. The balance of the joinery was a combination of machine and hand work. The plans are very detailed and having built it, I think its a very doable project.

I chronicled the build in detail on another WW forum (not sure if its ok to mention which one?).

On to the next project!

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Phil Gaudio; 10-14-2020 at 5:03 PM.

I know you are proud - and you should be. Primo project! Well Done Sir!

Wow! That's a beauty Phil! I like the style, the color and the finish. It's just beautiful!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

That is incredibly nice!! I love Garrett Hack's work and you really did this piece justice. I would love to see the build chronicle if don't mind sharing where you've posted it.

Also, did you seal the wood with shellac or anything else before adding the Osmo? I've never used Osmo on Cherry but planned to on my most recent project. I was afraid that it might blotch a bit as Cherry is very susceptible but your piece did not at all. The finish looks great.

Again, amazing work!!

Superb work.

Thanks Tony! The build is described in detail on woodnet (Handtools Forum). I work almost exclusively in cherry. I never seal it or stain it. I have never had a problem with blotching, as I think blotching is in the eye of the beholder. Another man's blotch is what I call character, and I think the more character the better! Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    That is incredibly nice!! I love Garrett Hack's work and you really did this piece justice. I would love to see the build chronicle if don't mind sharing where you've posted it.

Also, did you seal the wood with shellac or anything else before adding the Osmo? I've never used Osmo on Cherry but planned to on my most recent project. I was afraid that it might blotch a bit as Cherry is very susceptible but your piece did not at all. The finish looks great.

Again, amazing work!!

Phil, Ditto on the build compliments. Please accept more compliments on the photography.

Gorgeous!

Ron

Ron/Bill/Charles: thanks much!

Curt/Fred: thanks a bunch!

Ok, I had to know. I looked at the exif. iPhone wow. Yea, very nice photography.. awesome lighting.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

My wife let me use her fairly new iphone: makes anyone look like a pro photographer. I just used a single flood from the side to accent the grain: seemed to work.

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Ok, I had to know. I looked at the exif. iPhone wow. Yea, very nice photography.. awesome lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Gaudio View Post
    My wife let me use her fairly new iphone: makes anyone look like a pro photographer. I just used a single flood from the side to accent the grain: seemed to work.
    Yea, it worked very well. More the lighting than the phone.. but I was pleasantly surprised by the tonal range
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    Beautifully done. It has a light visual feel, beautiful material and great craftsmanship. I used your picture to try to talk LOML down from the large focal piece she's after for a similar dining room piece. I think I scored points for the lighter look. Thanks!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Just outstanding Phil. Very nice work indeed and I am glad you shared this with us. Details details details! - Beads, subtle curve legs, undercut ends top, pulls, etc. and then the thing seems to glow as it sits there. Thanks.
    David