Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jointer injury

Thanks for the kind words, everybody. They are very much appreciated.

Sorry to hear about this. I do not think a porkchop style guard would have prevented it. It might have reduced it to only one fingertip cut.
    Bill D

3. Yeah I winced and cringed, sorry to hear this Jason. Good reminder to STAY FROSTY around machinery.

I kind of like the Euro style guards too but I see a potential problem with people not adjusting guard to completely cover the cutter head.

Blog Entries
    A different guard may help, but the technique needs adjustment. For my students I typically recommend hand over hand feeding rather than using a trailing finger as a hook. This allows one to avoid having a hand over the cutterhead all together.

If that doesn’t solve it, I stand in-line with the cutterhead and have them walk around me to continue feeding the board. This usually makes my point and is annoying enough to break the habit.

As they progress and are able to use it with just my witnessing if I see a hand over the cutterhead I kill the machine and explain the entire approach to jointing all over and I do this until the student understands how best to feed material.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

So much this. I had a close call once and I swore that if I were ever tired or in a hurry I would leave the shop. I've tried to make a habit of intentionally slowing down and thinking through every move before I turn on a tool. I don't know if it helps, and sometimes I forget, but I'm getting better at training myself in this.

ive never hooked a finger on the end and would not even consider it. it would not even occur to me to do that. Ive seen you tubes of guys with fingers hooked around the board, From memory we never got a lot of instruction on jointing. Too long ago

Hand over hand I always did. Do remember one who said lift the hand over the knife area. Sensible. Look at how many guys feed and stop then start again, you see it often in you tubes, even from manufacturers. I tend to think they have not spent time on the machine. Once you are on there some amount of time hand over hand just occurs on its own as its logical and you move better and better from repeating so much.

Ive used the heal of my hand 1000 times on the end of the board over the cutter head, its not perfect. Best when I reach for the push thing. Depends on the boards as well as well you dont always have to be right at the end. Ive always had a rubbe maid with a wet sponge by he jointer. Hands hit the damp sponge I get more traction.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    ive never hooked a finger on the end and would not even consider it. it would not even occur to me to do that. Ive seen you tubes of guys with fingers hooked around the board, From memory we never got a lot of instruction on jointing. Too long ago

Hand over hand I always did. Do remember one who said lift the hand over the knife area. Sensible. Look at how many guys feed and stop then start again, you see it often in you tubes, even from manufacturers. I tend to think they have not spent time on the machine. Once you are on there some amount of time hand over hand just occurs on its own as its logical and you move better and better from repeating so much.

Ive used the heal of my hand 1000 times on the end of the board over the cutter head, its not perfect. Best when I reach for the push thing. Depends on the boards as well as well you dont always have to be right at the end. Ive always had a rubbe maid with a wet sponge by he jointer. Hands hit the damp sponge I get more traction.

Try push pads. They are a tool that allows one to grip a board with a sponge rubber on a D handle. Bear on the outfeed table as soon as you can. Bearing on the infeed table used to get people sent to the glue room where I worked.
    Last edited by William Hodge; 07-11-2021 at 6:16 AM.

never been interested in trying them. I could see having more grip as good but its not a natural hand position to me. Hands dampened work fine. push thing works fine and safer than heal of my hand.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 07-10-2021 at 10:20 PM.

I always use push pads with mine. Anything that keeps my hands away from spinning blades is a good thing in my book.

I find the GRR-Rip Block Smart Pushblock really good for this, as it has retractable feet the you can hook on the back edge of the wood and help push the wood through. Of course, the wood has to be thicker than the feet, but I don't recall that ever being an issue.

Sorry for your injury.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I am short on my index finger on my right hand. I have the knuckle but no nail. I know exactly what you are and will go through and I am sorry to hear of your accident and I wish you well.
    Tom

Sorry to hear about your injury. I hope that you heal fast. Thanks for telling us.
    I would be interested in seeing how you were working when the accident happened if or when you feel up to it.

That sounds awful, wishing you a quick recovery as well.

I've still got half a fingernail to grow back, from ... oh, the shame ... a hammer ;-)

Got the thumb about 15 minutes earlier, and all I could think was: "I'm always very careful where my fingers are around sharp spinning things. Why doesn't a hammer get the same respect?" And then ...

My right index finger is about 1/8" shorter than the left. Gears ... greasy gears, on a lathe. 11 years old. Never have understood why they don't numb it up before scrubbing the debris out with Betadine ...

So sorry about the injury, and posting this took some courage as well.

Posting about injuries keeps the rest of us safe and reminds us that:

--Never Take Any Power Tool For Granted. They are dangerous machines and deserve respect.

--Never Use Any Power Tool When You Are Tired or In a Hurry. I save my critical cuts on power equipment for first thing in the morning after I have had my cup of coffee and am alert and relaxed.

--Rehearse Protocols. For almost every time I use a power tool, I do the set up and before I power up, I rehearse the cut--where the board is going to be, do I need a hold down, do I need a push stick. if it is thin stock or narrow stock, I take a second look at safety issues relative as to whether there is a safer tool in my shop to do this cut. Once I have rehearsed the cut, and am satisfied that it is safe, I power on the tool. Often I find that a hand tool, such as a plane, hand saw, rasp, or chisel ends up being the preferred tool.

Again, I thank the poster for the courage in posting this accident.
    Regards,

Tom

Hope you heal up well, I have friends who have been in the jointer and they have healed up and carried on. One is a very talented cabinet maker and customer car builder.

I would not be a good example of what to do. Still I look on the net and see people worse than me.

Here are some examples of what not to do, fourth safety way that would not work for me and why Id rather learn from old guys.

Whether you have a guards or not in you tubes ive seen guys doing stuff with fingers pointing down and thought ... this hand position fingers pointed down is asking for trouble. It would not occur to me fingers pointing down. Done enough with heal of my hands and dont go over the cutter like this guy does. ID have to video tape myself to see waht I do likely heal of my hand has gone over the cutters enough times but if so never fingers extended pushing down like this.

9A.jpg

What is this? fingers hooked around the board?

111.jpg

here he is unaware of his finger tips and hes got a guard set up to be almost useless

aaa.JPG

this below being safe guy little no control over the material, pressure at time of photo on the infeed.

Id take the guard out of this and use a proper push thing. Ive found jointers rarely kick but can, we take smaller depth cuts on them for one and the outfeed table works as a chip limiter holding the material up not falling into the cutter as it would on old style cutters say on a shaper. You have to understand the shape of the board you are feeding in and if its better one way than flipped over.

If he had to do 50 or 100 pieces like this its a poor set up compared to a good push block. Its likely by the book and what teachers teach. Id never do this.

My push block would likely span most of this shorter board anyway and likely this could be done with one hand with the block if you stay aware of how your pressure is as you enter and exit.

Captureyyyy.JPG
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 07-12-2021 at 10:36 AM.