Thread: Amana after-market Domino DF500 bits

Amana after-market Domino DF500 bits

Amana sells an after-market 8mm DF500 Domino bit for $28 compared to Festool $48. Anyone have experience with the Amana bits? Are they on par with Festool OEM bits?
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

There have been a few threads online here and in the Festool forum about Amana and CMT Domino-compatible cutters. Many folks feel they have worked well and a few were not satisfied. I personally have not looked into them to-date.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I’ve used the cmts and have many Amana router bits. I’d put the Amanas as about as reliable as Whiteside. I believe in their quality and would be comfortable with the domino bits they make. Thanks for sharing; I did not realize they made these.

Thanks gents. I'll give the Amana a spin, so to speak
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

FWIW, just a few days ago, tried a 10mm CMT. Did not want to seat very well on shaft - was resistant, as though the lead-in to the threaded part was slightly under-sized. No matter - fired up, gave a test cut, and very surprised at the poor fit. You could dry fit a domino, drop it in, turn the part over and the domino falls right out. Very loose. Caliper shows CMT dead-on at 10mm. Old OEM bit reads a few thousandths under. Re-chucked the OEM and was back to perfection - nice, snug fit.
    Not sure if OEM's are deliberately undersized, but definitely feel the CMT had some subtle machining difference - perhaps the poor-fitting seat causes it to run untrue? Either way, not wasting money on knock-off Festool domino bits again, regardless the reputation the brand carries for all other bits/blades I use.

Jeff, I wonder if there was some runout in addition to the slight variation in size from the OEM. Perhaps ask for a replacement, given it was hard to install, and see if that one is ok or, um...not.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...