Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: thickness planer question

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post

There are several variables at play here that are more likely and significant than wood movement from humidity changes.
    I couldn't agree more.
    My main point was that .007 is too minimal to be overly concerned about. I would have to have a bigger sampling than 2 boards. Also at .007, it could simply be a chip under the end of one of the boards. Not enough info to make an informed decision, guessing is pointless without feedback.

"Wood moves" Yes it does, so does metal, yet they make high precision metal parts. so does the granite yet they make super high precision surface plates from granite.

The fact that something moves does not preclude it from making precision parts.

You can cut, dress and join wooden parts to high tolerances in the 0.001"- 0.002" range.

A joint that I did in 1990 (a lot tighter tolerance than 0.007")

Profil95.jpg

Thirty years later. Still just as tight as the day that it was made.

image_86479.jpgimage_86480.jpg

Card cases that i made 30 years ago, also a lot tighter fit than 0.007"
    0.001 - 0.002"makes a big difference to the fit of the lid on these, so you have to keep really tight tolerances. I am still using one today, and the lid still fits snug.

Card cases2.jpg

Mitutoyo micrometer with a heat insulating cover.

293-100-10_z1_eps.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    Without being able to see or touch the wood in question, we're only guessing. I'm not sure what you think is nonsense but it's been my experience that wood moves, at times quite a lot.
    I have no idea if the OP is experiencing snipe or inaccurate measurements, as you said.
    Last edited by Mark Hennebury; 07-10-2021 at 12:57 PM. Reason: photo was missing

I won't get drawn into an argument about wood movement, there are too many variables that come into play.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    ...if you have a pretty good planer, there should be virtually no difference between the 2 boards one after another...
    This.

Anyway, such minor differences as 0.007" between board thicknesses is likely less than the misalignment to be expected at the glue joint.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

5. I typical piece of paper is 4 mil (.004)... so 7 would be noticeable, but I expect you would hand plane or sand the joint flat after glue up anyway?

Glue up then drum sander