Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to me Hand Tool friendly Red Grandis Box Builds

Wife tells you no more furniture and you produce a turd like that?

Man, respect! That is incredible work there, very talented.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Ok, Mike, now you’re just gettin’ wicked good. The curves, the choice of woods (that veneer just really sparkles) the freehand inlay, the carving...all great skills on their own, combined make for a stellar looking outcome. Congrats! Very, very, nice work.
    Thanks Phil, I respect your work and appreciate your feedback!
    Because I’m limited to small scale work I’vE been trying to incorporate some fun techniques into these projects. I’m terrible at design and worry i’m Jamming too much stuff in. No one likes “over designer” pieces that scream “look at how creative I am”, I never know where that line is. I’m really more interested in the building process, that’s what fun for me. Of course I hope the final result looks good, but don’t always make that a priority. Your feedback is helpful!

Cheers, Mike

I haven’t seen this question asked yet: why the masking tape on your index finger? Injury, injury prevention, or other reason?

Blog Entries
    Sawed the tip off my finger with band saw. Yeah, I know adjusting the guides with motor on is stupid! My bad��could have been a lot worse.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the insights on the red grandis-seems like a great wood for small scale projects. The snakewood was a good choice. And your pace is impressive... As always, thanks for sharing the details.

glad to hear the mishap with the bandsaw wasn't worse!

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Mike, I don’t think you crossed the line on this one. I do know what you mean..sometimes I see a little bare wood and think OMG that needs some veneer or inlay! I do have to remind myself from time to time that sometimes less is more.

However, that is what gives me enjoyment these days, so do what you like, right?

if you’re looking for other small projects, these clocks were a lot of fun to make. Since I too ran out of floor space, I’m now working on filling the walls! Once I finish a table for my son, I’m going to do a more traditional case wall clock. And yes, it will be filled with veneer and inlay!

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....94-wall-clocks
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 07-14-2021 at 1:12 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the suggestion Phil- your clocks are beautiful! I'd love to give something like that a try.

Cheers!

Phil, thanks for sharing the clocks--somehow I missed them go by in the spring! And I agree that veneered small projects can keep one occupied for a long time.

Mike, I think you could do very well building small projects for sale or for benefits or whatever you decided given your skills. Which would keep you in good graces

Best,
    Chris
    --Yogi Berra

Blog Entries
    Thanks Chris- any suggestions for best way to try and sell boxes/small items/furniture? Would something like Craig's List Be viable? I have a "shop" on Etsy but no real traffic. I guess I could also try visiting local furniture/home furnishing stores and see if they have any interest?

My problem is I just like building stuff but don't have any room for it - Pretty existential problem! I've kinda exhausted all the gift opportunities in my circle of friends/family.Only reason I'm interested in selling is to allow me to do what I enjoy (building) and have something to do with the finished product. Would be great if I could recoup material costs and maybe make a little retirement $. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike,

I don't have any real experience either, though have dreamed of having the time to be in your position (retirement is a decade + away)! I'm not sure you'd get much traffic with CL, so I'd lean toward the direct connection with small shops/vendors. I live in a smallish college town and there are several places that could work including an artist coop gallery, a couple of wines stores/tasting rooms, an independent book store, a cooking store, etc. Your boxes and small chests of drawers could sit on a counter next to the checkout We also have a farmers market where there are several vendors who might sell on consignment for someone. All these are driven by folks coming to town to visit, so I'd try in any town you like to travel to. Etsy seems to work if you also use social media (IG) to push a profile/brand. Hope that helps.
    --Yogi Berra