Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New work camera suggestions

The new smartphones take excellent pictures because they use computational photography. If you're dead set on a camera, make sure it's a mirrorless.

I thought I'd never use a smartphone for good photography but now, I think the pictures are better than the regular cameras I've used. The only place a camera excels is in the ability to use long lenses. The iPhone 11 that I use has the equivalent of a 250mm lens on a 35 mm camera. There are times when I'd want longer.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    I dont think any cell could stand up to what this one hs been through....

Attachment 460828

That is the most abused camera I've ever seen. You should not consider a cell phone camera--in fact you should not even be permitted to own one.

Despite owning an insanely large camera collection, no matter where I go, I have my cell phone in my pocket, protected from abuse. The photos it captures are plenty good quality for most of my sharing needs.

"Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

if you think that is bad you should see my 35 year old Seiko watch

Mark I am a good beta tester. Ive modified and changed tools and complained, some ignore you and some listen. Ive had and mentioned that thought to people this speaks very nightly of your product.

I make my camera guy ill I think. He sent me photos of a camera in a bag and its taped to the lens all around. Right away I saw an improvement to cut out one end of my Home Depot plumbing fitting and just slide it over with the bag taped to it. Really I dont want a camera in a bag I just want to use it.

You are ganging up on me on the cell phone, whats next a car with power windows?

You might be right then often have to have stuff in my hands to see stuff not thought about with out having it in my hands and using it.

If a cell phone is not used as a cell phone is it still sort of a transmitter still? Not my thought other than just now talking out loud comes to mind.

One thing I wish was faster on that camera was the time it takes to digest photos.

On the left is 35 years of shop use before it gave up. NEver intended to make it a shop watch and likely havent had a watch on for some years. Went through many glasses and straps, lost the second hand after this photo. on the right its replacement, no second hand argh, never goes near the shop never.
    '

P1610001Ab.jpg
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 07-10-2021 at 5:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    The new smartphones take excellent pictures....
    I prefer a good DSLR but the cell phone cameras are getting pert near to amazing.

A few years ago I got my first magazine cover photo published from a cell phone photo:

Llama_Mag_Cover_blur_address.jpg

Well, it was a small specialty journal, but hey...
    That day a production crew was shooting a TV documentary at a big llama ranch in Georgia.

JKJ

Just found this online-

cbag1.jpgcbag2.jpgcbag3.jpgcbag4.jpg

https://youtu.be/sGGqAYY1WVU

something like this may help..?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I guess this goes from point and shoot to bridge cameras to DSLR's Is that correct.
    Yeah, but I've always considered anything with the small 1:2/3 sensors a P&S regardless of its form-factor or zoom range. A true bridge camera has a larger sensor, but smaller than the ones used in interchangeable-lens models. I've had a Lumix FZ1000 with the 1" Sony sensor for about five years now and would never go back to the smaller sensor. You get a lot (most?) of the advantage of the larger DSLR sensor while still having a long(ish) zoom.

(Did the SLR thing back in the film days, but I'm getting too old to justify hauling around that much glass, and the "right" lens is always in the bag, not on the camera.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

The new smartphones take excellent pictures because they use computational photography. If you're dead set on a camera, make sure it's a mirrorless.

I thought I'd never use a smartphone for good photography but now, I think the pictures are better than the regular cameras I've used. The only place a camera excels is in the ability to use long lenses. The iPhone 11 that I use has the equivalent of a 250mm lens on a 35 mm camera. There are times when I'd want longer.
    The problem with the current run of cell cameras isn't image quality, it's the ergonomics. I guess a case/attachment to provide a decent hand-grip would help some, but at that point you might as well just carry a camera around.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Lee ive gone from the FZ28 to the 200 and the 300. The 28 is light and hung off my belt. I can grab it working under a car or whatever and its comfortable simple and easy to use one handed.

Most of the stuff for documenting is up close. Quality it gave me was good enough as a documenting thing. If it was important then the 300 was used and way out performed the 28. Even if I wanted to use the 300 as a work camera it would not make sense as its heavier and I dont want that hanging off me with other stuff. When I did some roofs the tool belt with hand tools no power stuff was over 20 lbs though hardly ever use that belt now. I worked well if you were hanging some cordless stuff off you.

I got sidetracked with other things but still have to solve this. Went to the dump today, good camera with me when the 28 would have been fine and safer.

You sound well ahead of me on cameras. IS the 1000 a fair bit better than the 300? It works well enough for me. Im not making a living from a camera and if i was would have to have more than the 300 and learn more.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    The problem with the current run of cell cameras isn't image quality, it's the ergonomics. I guess a case/attachment to provide a decent hand-grip would help some, but at that point you might as well just carry a camera around.
    I don't find it that hard to handle a smartphone as a camera. I much prefer a viewfinder but the smartphone is so much smaller and easier to carry than a camera. For travel, I started using cameras with small imagers but that closed up and would fit into my pocket. But low light performance was terrible - lots of noise in the picture. I kept going up in imager size - my last was an APS-C Nikon - but the camera (with lens) just became too large.

I finally gave up and went with the iPhone. It has it's problems, but is the best tradeoff for my needs.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I agree - the camera control ergonomics stinks. What I never liked was the position of what used to be called a shutter release on a real camera, quite awkward to touch. I tried the option to use a physical volume control button but that was worse when trying to hold the phone steady.

I finally found the option to put a separate shutter release button anywhere on the screen. I move it so I can more easily touch it with my right index finger.

BTW, I've taken several cell phones apart just for fun. It was fascinating how small the camera and lens is. To look at other components I used a low-power microscope. If anyone is interested, the vibration feature in a cell phone is implemented with a tiny motor spinning an off-balance weight.

JKJ

when I use the camera other than the home depot lens cap off all is done with one hand, can you do all with a cell one handed. Its simple and easy with one hand when you are under a car or whatever., I dont even look in the lens and the back screen was smashed on the 28 10 years ago, I just hold the camera up.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    ...shutter release button... I move it so I can more easily touch it with my right index finger...
    From decades of using my right index finger to operate a camera's shutter, that has become my default too. Though I have not found it necessary to relocate the cell phone's shutter release (using an iPhone 12 Pro.

Here's another shot from that phone.

"Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Lee ive gone from the FZ28 to the 200 and the 300. The 28 is light and hung off my belt. I can grab it working under a car or whatever and its comfortable simple and easy to use one handed.

Most of the stuff for documenting is up close. Quality it gave me was good enough as a documenting thing.
    Ah. Actually, that's the exact kind of thing that phone cameras really do work well for. About half the pictures on my phone are Home Depot shelf-edge labels, paint color codes from can lids, that sort of thing.

IS the 1000 a fair bit better than the 300? It works well enough for me. Im not making a living from a camera and if i was would have to have more than the 300 and learn more.
    In terms of image quality, oh yes, definitely. But it's a true "bridge camera", halfway between the FZ100/200/300 and a true DSLR in size and weight. I don't think you'd have any trouble learning how to use it though, as it's controls are very similar to its smaller siblings.

Sometimes you really do need the right tool for the job.
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 07-16-2021 at 11:19 AM.

I much prefer a viewfinder...
    Didn't even mention that, but yeah. Trying to frame a picture in bright sun on any exposed screen is a deal-breaker for me: I end up pointing the phone in the general direction and hoping I get something useful.

(Full disclosure: I'm spoiled. The viewfinder on the FZ1000 I mentioned earlier is as good as the one on the current Sony Alphas, and that's saying a lot.)

...Trying to frame a picture in bright sun on any exposed screen is a deal-breaker for me: I end up pointing the phone in the general direction and hoping I get something useful.
    Is your screen brightness turned up? I have no problem seeing the screen on my phone even in direct sun. Auto brightness mode might help. Or maybe my phone just has a brighter screen. ??