Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hey old guys

my neighboiur is 90. she shovels her snow and she cuts her lawn. Her lawn is 300 feet wide by 150 deep. Since here husband died likely 20 years ago she has done it. For the main lawn she uses the ride on mower then other areas ditches she has a battery powered one as it makes her feel she is being green. she breaks it up so its not all done one day. She has had breast cancer, had a lump out and radiation for three weeks but still kept cutting the lawn and working outside pretty much right away.

The only reason she can shovel snow like a man and take care of her property is because she has done it herself since her husband died.

ive torn strips off her for cleaning her eves troughs, even more so one of those death trap wood ladders from the past. I try and do all that type of stuff for her and her son in law is excellent.

One of my friends used to always ask me how old is that lady? he could never believe she was maybe 80 from when he first started asking me how old she was when he would see her out there cutting.

Old school and tough.

My friend got an award at a car show. Lady that gave it to him was a farmer. She drove her car to the podium and walked up with no walker and like a 70 year old to give him and his wife the award. She was 104 years old at the time.

My neighbour still walks like someone in their 60's or early 70's

My cabinet teacher didnt get exercise and told me he didn't need it. True he had great genetics and was an Olympic Caliber Wrestler and boxer when he was young. He was a very strong and tough man from all he was through from young. Gentle and kind though. I told him you have good genetics but you still need exercise but just not his thing.

Blog Entries
    I walked this morning. I used to walk with my black lab madisan, she lived 15 years, so now I walk in memory of her.

There is a park near my workplace that is a converted gravel pit. A walking path around the perimeter of the pond is exactly a mile and a half. The parks department keeps it up so it’s really nice. I try to go down there every lunch hour for a lap, weather permitting. It’s a great break and good exercise.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I walked this morning. I used to walk with my black lab madisan, she lived 15 years, so now I walk in memory of her.
    This forum needs a "like" button and a heart emoji button.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Good for you Lowell! Thanks for your threads on this

Exercise outdoors is often a spiritual experience for me. I went for brisk walks often when I ran my own business. When I was really stressed out a walk would help or even remove a big worry.
    Since I retired I windsurf for fun but it's a real intense workout. My blood pressure drops during the windsurfing season April to October.

I walk daily in the cooler months for :

1-Pleasure
    2-To keep blood pressure healthy
    3-To talk with and listen to Mother Nature
    4-To do errands pollution free!
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

tues, thurs, and sat and/or sunday are cardio days. mon, wed, fri and/or sat sunday are strength days. sat and sunday are used as catch up days for the other days of the week that I may miss a workout.

This routine pre-dates Covid shutting down the gyms, me getting some strange respiratory issue in Feb 2020 and then getting Covid at Christmas of 2020;.

Cardio is either 10-20 miles on a road bike or 4 miles on a tread mill.

Covid and that respiratory infection damaged my lungs. getting back on my bike has definitely help me regain breathing capacity. Since all that has happened over the last 16 months I am slowly getting back to normal but I am not back to where I was in 2019.

I love riding my bikes (i have too many) pre-dawn. I try to get twenty miles in before 5:30am.

I also walk a lot at work, so its pretty easy for me to get in 10,000 steps.
    Last edited by Joe Mioux; 07-18-2021 at 3:48 PM.
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Having a two story house, and an 800' long driveway helps us to stay fit. Mow the grass with a push mower. Am always on the go around the home forty (actually five acres.)
    You mow 5 acres with a push mower?! You are better than me.

I walk my dog 4 miles a day and "lift weights". I put that in parenthesis because I bench 65 pounds and my PB was 230 pounds 25 years ago.

Blog Entries
    I used to walk my black lab Madison, but she passed away at the age of 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    You mow 5 acres with a push mower?! You are better than me.
    I wondered about that! One tough guy! Perhaps Bruce will see that and respond. But I suspect it's kind of like my place, not the whole property gets mowed! We have 27 acres and much is woods.

I mow between 3 and 12 acres, depending. However, I use my rotary push mower for just a few tight spots around the house! For the rest I have a couple of 25hp diesel powered mowers that cut 60" - even with one of those to mow the 5 acre horse pasture takes a while.

JKJ

At 72 the muscle mass has been melting away and I have found that my strength now lies in flexibility and range of motion. Since Covid I have gotten into doing Yoga with “Adriene on Utube”. As with most things, slow and steady wins the race and over these last months I am really happy with the results, and perhaps best of all, so is she
    Infrequently I ride my spin bike. I’d like to ride my road bike, but as with so many other posters with narrow roads, drivers and cell phones, it is not happening. I have been hit by cars on bicycles twice. Once when I was a kid and totally my fault and once in ‘74 when I rode from Seattle to NY. I was up by Thessalon ONT on the Trans Canadian Hwy and got hit by a guys mirror. It was an auto pulling a small trailer and had those long mirrors that mount out on the front fender. I wasn’t badly hurt, but the bike took a beating. Guy kept right on going. The people of Thessalon took me in and made me welcome.