Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey old guys

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Check this site, it works.
    I had a heart attack years ago and read about this, and I walk 1/2 mile daily.
    Neil Armstrong was asked, what was his exercise regimen. He said he only had so many more steps to give, so many more heartbeats to sacrifice, and so forth. (Yes he died, but that’s a matter of litigation.) If I have to take steps, it will have to be meaningful, as opposed to random walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    Neil Armstrong was asked, what was his exercise regimen. He said he only had so many more steps to give, so many more heartbeats to sacrifice, and so forth. (Yes he died, but that’s a matter of litigation.) If I have to take steps, it will have to be meaningful, as opposed to random walking.
    So you are saying that keeping your heart in good shape is not meaningful. Sorry but that does not hold water. Hope you do other things than just walk back and forth to the fridge.
    John T.

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    So you are saying that keeping your heart in good shape is not meaningful. Sorry but that does not hold water. Hope you do other things than just walk back and forth to the fridge.
    My shoulders are witness to how much time I’ve spent pushing a Stanley #8, and digging gardens in the rocky Texas soil. Otherwise, I have a car, and am trying to postpone knee surgery. But thanks for asking! :^)

I am finding that if I am standing for long periods or walking a lot that my feet will feel fine, but then I sit down for a bit and when I get up my feet will hurt like crazy. I can barely walk after that as my feet hurt so bad. The bad news is I am not even 50 years old yet. I have what I think are decent walking shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    ...With the Silver and Fit program it was possible to get in a mile on a treadmill. Covid shut that down...
    This is what happened to my mom, but she was doing water aerobics. She recently got a stationary bike and has been using that instead. Haven't seen it in person, yet, but seems like she's enjoying it. For folks who maybe don't have places or opportunities to get outside, I think my mom's bike was maybe $300, delivered. So, affordable and keeps her moving. There were always older folks who where there just to get some low-impact activity when I was teaching indoor cycling classes at my local gym. Go at your own pace, wear comfortable sweats. It doesn't have to be like soul cycle or tour de france.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Blog Entries

I wonder . . . .

Have any creekers started walking as a result of this thread?

If so, let us know about it.

Have any creekers started walking as a result of this thread?
    I did! Not as a result of this particular thread, but one that you posted a few years ago.

I had recently retired and was getting fat and lazy. I read several of your posts about getting out & walking each day, and thought that it was a terrific idea. So, my New Years Resolution for January of 2019 was to walk every day. I started out slowly, but gradually built up to 5-6 miles daily. I walk about 130 miles a month, and have gone on several multi-night backpacking trips. All because of your posts! So, thanks!

(A couple of weeks ago I stupidly mis-counted the steps on my deck, tripped, and broke a bone in my left foot. Surprisingly, one of the things I really miss is my daily walk -- it's become quite a part of my daily routine!)

Keep encouraging us Lowell! It really makes a difference to have someone leading the way!

I'd rather be outside than inside anyway. I put in one earbud and start a podcast or a favorite radio program.
    For me, walking is addictive. When I'm doing it, I hate to miss a day. But if I skip a couple days in a row, it's hard to get back on track.

Blog Entries
    The more you move the more you are able to move was my mothers mantra for many years. She didn't have MS but was saddled with severe arthritis which I am also. 1 mile every other day enables me to move a little bit more. I had to drive a few miles to get to a safe place but it was worth it. Have just moved to a suburban area and now have sidewalks to use.

For those that have suitable roads, sidewalks and paved trails I strongly recommend getting an ebike. We both ride almost everyday. You set the level of assistance you want from 0 to blasting up small hills. Probably best to have some cycling experience before going all out on these. It’s a life changer, loads of fun, we even ride in 15 mph winds and days when the heat factor is 104. Stay above 15mph and get cooling effect on hot days. We have a special rack to haul these everywhere we go.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce King View Post
    For those that have suitable roads, sidewalks and paved trails I strongly recommend getting an ebike. We both ride almost everyday. You set the level of assistance you want from 0 to blasting up small hills. Probably best to have some cycling experience before going all out on these. It’s a life changer, loads of fun, we even ride in 15 mph winds and days when the heat factor is 104. Stay above 15mph and get cooling effect on hot days. We have a special rack to haul these everywhere we go.
    Second on that! The ebike will let an "old" guy bike places for some great exercise, places sometimes not so accessible to the senior set.

Bruce, what kind of special rack did you get? I usually ride on the farm - some of the property is down a hill where I might not take a non-ebike. I'd like a better way to carry it than put it in the bed of the truck.

JKJ

We have the Hollywood dual ebike rack. Two inch receiver a must.
    We remove the batteries and seats for long trips and use blue tape to seal up the frame and battery connections. If your bike has 4 inch wide tires they have holders for those too. The first bike that goes on is a little tricky so I use the rear brake to pull the bike up on its rear wheel then maneuver it in place then slowly release the brake to lower the front.

Blog Entries
    I started my routine as result of a heart attack, I suggest you start with a 15 minute walk and work up from there by adding 5 minutes every two weeks or what ever is comfortable for you.

I would visit a doctor and discuss this with him.

I started my routine as result of a heart attack, I suggest you start with a 15 minute walk and work up from there by adding 5 minutes every two weeks or what ever is comfortable for you.

I would visit a doctor and discuss this with him.
    I guess it’s out of the question to find a doctor who is willing to prescribe Lie Nielsen hand plane products?

If my walker was covered under Medicare, then why not, it just isn’t fair. :^(

I’ve begun using my skiing and rowing machines again after reading this thread. Does that count? I enjoy watching woodworking videos while skiing and rowing.