Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey old guys

Blog Entries

Hey old guys

Check this site, it works.
    I had a heart attack years ago and read about this, and I walk 1/2 mile daily.

It works,

https://www.verywellfit.com/walking-4157093

Retired in '04, heart attack in '05. I go for 4-5 walks a day. Gotta get out of the house at times.

A big problem for me with walking at home is there is a minimal amount of road that is safe to walk. I'm not walking on a county highway that is 55 MPH with no shoulder. It also sucks to walk in the winter when the temperature is generally in the teens to twenties.

I know I need to walk more. I will take an occasional walk on a work break on the weeks I have to be in the office, but I find it hard waiting for traffic lights and then dodging all the people out walking their dogs.

Blog Entries
    A big problem for me with walking at home is there is a minimal amount of road that is safe to walk.
    That is pretty much the same for me. With the Silver and Fit program it was possible to get in a mile on a treadmill. Covid shut that down. That is also a bit difficult since it is at least an hour round trip into the local YMCA.

My daily walk to the mailbox is only about a quarter of a mile. Some days this is done early to give me a second trip. Walking around with my cats is a more leisurely walk than what would be ideal for exercise.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I work, ride a stationary bike, and have a gym at home. Stopped trying to build muscle several decades ago, but just trying to maintain. Never stopped exercising. My 71st Birthday was about three weeks ago. My goal is to keep my resting heart rate at least 15 below my age. Don't drink anything but water for about 20 years now.

I hardly ever walk anywhere save for the aisle's at the grocery stores and Walmart

However, I DO run a home business, I start around 9am and shut down around 2am. 2/3 of my equipment is in the basement, the other 1/3 in what used to be called "the garage"...

The wife got me a fitbit Sense for xmas- I piss it off because I won't 'add to my wallet' and pay for 'upgrades', but even so it keeps track of my walking, and I average over 10,000 steps a day, which 'they' say is about 5 miles- and half of that is on stairs.

So I don't really feel guilty about not pounding the sidewalks on foot. For that, I have my Segway Ninebot (and if you've ever taken a 7 mile trip on one, you know that THAT's a workout its own self!)
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Having a two story house, and an 800' long driveway helps us to stay fit. Mow the grass with a push mower. Am always on the go around the home forty (actually five acres.) During summer, working on plants in garden and starting new plants from cuttings. This means hauling pine bark, peat moss, perlite, sand, compost to old concrete mixer for blending, shoveling it in, and out of wheel barrow, then adding to pots. Lots of bend and stretch. Plus in last two weeks we have had three series of storms, which means plenty of debris to pick up. Burnt a pile the size of a small car yesterday. Wife and I both notice people our age look much and act much older than we do. Recently, a friend who is younger than wife, said for the young person (meaning wife) to climb in rear seat on van. Currently power washing house (two stories,) using ladders up to, and including 32' tall. In fall, planning on replacing shingles on back side of both shop and house myself. Hardest part is getting someone to help me get shingles onto roof, which we will do using ladder, rope and pulley, same as we did when we built house 41 years ago. At that time, our 12 YO son was the grunt pulling the rope. A bundle of shingles weighed 70#, and he weighed 72# at the time.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 07-10-2021 at 8:36 PM.

I have the perfect situation for exercise. I'm 71, moved to this 27 acre farm in '04, retired in '06. I put in lots of trails and gravel/dirt roads. It's about 1/4 mile walk just to the mailbox or the end of the horse pasture. When the weather is not pouring rain I prefer to walk everywhere unless I have something to haul or am in a big hurry. My Fitbit indicates I average 3-6 miles a day without leaving the property, sometimes less, sometimes more. I often make a dozen or more trips a day up and down the hill to the shop and barn. Good exercise herding peacocks and llama, moving horses, feeding/watering all the critters, hauling/stacking hay, carrying feed sacks, cleaning stalls, tending the garden, chainsawing, weed whacking, spot spraying, and even working the beehives. I have a hard time imagining walking on roads or sidewalks for exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    A big problem for me with walking at home is there is a minimal amount of road that is safe to walk. I'm not walking on a county highway that is 55 MPH with no shoulder. It also sucks to walk in the winter when the temperature is generally in the teens to twenties.

I know I need to walk more. I will take an occasional walk on a work break on the weeks I have to be in the office, but I find it hard waiting for traffic lights and then dodging all the people out walking their dogs.
    All I am reading in this one is excuses. You can do better than that. I have been walking the last 6 years because I put on quite abit of weight. Try to walk 3 miles every 5 days a week. I had to put on hold the last 3 weeks because my knee went out on me and slowly getting back. But will for sure. Lost 60 lbs. That is insentive for me.
    Last edited by John Terefenko; 07-10-2021 at 11:19 PM.
    John T.

Malls, and big box stores are great places to walk, no matter what the weather. As for losing weight, I shed over forty pounds over the last four years. Got rid of it the same way I put it on. One pound at the time. Weigh less now than when I was in my early fifties, 30+ years ago.

Mall walkers

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Malls, and big box stores are great places to walk, no matter what the weather. As for losing weight, I shed over forty pounds over the last four years. Got rid of it the same way I put it on. One pound at the time. Weigh less now than when I was in my early fifties, 30+ years ago.
    That reminded me that my dad walked at a mall in PA every day as long as he was able. There was a regular "crowd" of mall walkers, usually first thing in the morning. The mall had signs with a map of the route and describing how many circuits added up to a mile.

I walked with him a time or two when visiting, back before I finally got serious and lost over 50 lbs. I was out of breath trying to keep up with him!

JKJ

About ten years ago I was diagnosed with Muscular Dystrophy. Neurologist said, The more you move, the more you will be able to move & disease doesn't take a day off. I walk over 4,000 miles a year and average 25K steps per day.

I know that I will lose the war but it sure it fun to win some of the battles.

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    All I am reading in this one is excuses. You can do better than that. I have been walking the last 6 years because I put on quite abit of weight. Try to walk 3 miles every 5 days a week. I had to put on hold the last 3 weeks because my knee went out on me and slowly getting back. But will for sure. Lost 60 lbs. That is insentive for me.
    I have a commercial treadmill that I need to get set up again now that my exercise room in the basement is finished. It requires a 20 amp outlet that I installed when finishing the room. I will absolutely use the treadmill as soon I get it moved into that room.

One day, at lunch, and for no particular reason I took a short walk during lunch around a portion of the manufacturing plant I worked at. This got extended slowly over time until I was walking around the building 5 times. It was about a mile around the building, so 5 miles. Further on weekends at home. This lasted well over a decade. The only time I didn’t was during a hard rain. Otherwise during heat, cold, snow or ice. It took approximately 70 minutes, so a fast walk. One day leaving work, the guard at the entrance door stopped me and ask how old I was. I think I was 59 at the time. He told me he was with another, younger guard at the main entrance guard shack and the fellow said while I was passing that “That Old man walks faster than I can run.” Eating like a horse during that time I went from 210 to 150 pounds. So one day I started my walk at work and within a short distance just “decided” I didn’t really want to do this anymore. No more idea why than I had about why I started. Strange. For years I made repeated attempts to restart. Some attempts lasting longer than others. My bad diet was clogging my arteries all those years when I was a dedicated walker and I ended up having quadruple bypass surgery. I believe walking kept my heart strong enough that I never had an actual major heat attack.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Bob McBreen View Post
    About ten years ago I was diagnosed with Muscular Dystrophy. Neurologist said, The more you move, the more you will be able to move & disease doesn't take a day off. I walk over 4,000 miles a year and average 25K steps per day.
    I know that I will lose the war but it sure it fun to win some of the battles.

Bob, hat's off to you!! My brother-in-law was given similar advice with MS. Decades later he's still going strong, took up photography and sells his work, walks everywhere. Sometimes his legs give out and he collapses to the ground but he gets back up and keeps going!

A good attitude and sense of humor seems to help!

25k steps a day is impressive. Even on my busiest days I rarely get over 12,000.