Thread: How to set up dust collection on Delta 30C turret radial arm saw?

How to set up dust collection on Delta 30C turret radial arm saw?

Looking for ideas on how to set up dust collection on a turret arm radial saw. Don't remember whether or not I already posted something like this way back when. Since last summer, moved and its been slow setting up new shop. Too many other things to attend to first. I've thought about different ways to do the dust collection and have almost decided to just collect it when it shoots straight back and ignore everything else. I have a centralized system with 5" combo of pvc and metal HVAC ductwork. I'm obviously not very clever, hoping someone has come up with a clever way to do this with arm off 90 degrees.... Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

marking, wanting to do same

Don't know how crazy you may want to go , but look at Frank Howarth on YouTube . His dust collection thru the fence works very well .

Frank Howarth's solution is great, but pretty bespoke to his setup. I built a fence system inspired by his video.

I generated a set of fences for my radial arms for 90 crosscuts, 45 mitred crosscuts, and a dado fence. Overkill? Yep, but each setup has zero clearance and cuts cleanly. The fences are three pieces glued and screwed together, held in with a rear fence common to all three. The upright surfaces are drilled, and a box sits behind with 4 inch fitting for dust collection. The box is held down with threaded bolts and star knobs and just lifts off if needed. Yes, this is overkill but it collects almost all the dust and debris without any issues.

This works so much better than those giant dust collection funnel setups, which I've tried and lived with before building this. The funnels work well with lots and lots of airflow, but my fence setup works with a portable dust collector no problem.

IMG_8416.jpgIMG_8417.jpgIMG_8420.jpgIMG_8421.jpg

I thank you for your suggestions. I had a DeWalt RAS that I totally restored and did set up dust collection somewhat like was recommended. As I had a 5" collector behind it, the dust collection worked great. Gave it away to a friend because I also had a Delta Turret Arm saw, and that's the part that makes it hard to collect sawdust, it rotates/pivots in the middle of the arm in the middle of the table, not on the back like all the DeWalts. I have looked at it many times trying to come up with some workable solution. Nothing.... Knowing there are lots of clever people out there, thought maybe someone else had cracked the code on this.... Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)