Thread: Table saws and (hopefully) a better decision process

Table saws and (hopefully) a better decision process

I have the chance to sell my table saw. It's a Rigid R4511 and while it does everything I need at the moment, a better quality saw would make me more comfortable.
    Here is where I looked:
    Harvey Alpha HW110LC-36P. I've heard great things especially from James Hamilton (Stumpy Nubs) and Julie Moriarty about Harvey, but they don't have a Canadian distributor, so after sale service may be problimatic.
    Laguna F2 Fusion Table saw; also attractively priced, shipping and assembly is extra but although there are reviews, I've not seen any discussion here about them.
    Sawstop PCS is wildly out of my price range, especially since I just bought a new dust collection system, but the safety factor, and the possible resale value could be interesting.
    There are any number of local distributors offering private brands which have some advantages and disadvantages - lower cost but I can't check the quality,and the depreciation is a factor as well.
    I'm in my later 70's and while I enjoy woodworking, it's not my profession; cost/benefit is a factor.
    I could be interested in an older General, but frankly most around here were used in commercial shops and I really have no patience for rebuilding or searching for parts.
    Ah, decisions.
    Any thoughts?

Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

How are your hands? In his upper 70s my father's hands were no where near as steady as they once were. I suspect that mine will most likely also not be as steady. I have a long way to go but if I'm still using a cabinet saw (vs a slider) I can see myself replacing my PM66 in the future with a SawStop or another brand with similar safety features if my hands are not as steady.

I think any of the major brands in the 3HP size is going to do the job, the question is cost vs. safety features. All modern saws come with riving knives, which is a good thing. Obviously SawStop is sort of a 'go to', but alas, not in everyone's price range.

I have a Jet which has served me well for >20 years. The design has changed very little & I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

No specific knowledge of Laguna, but I know their bandsaws and drum sanders are high quality machines.

I'd also take a look at Grizzly.

Aaron, I am 79 and I just bought a 3hp 36” PCS primarily for its safety features and quality. I was previously using a Craftsman 12124 hybrid 1 3/4 BP that met my cutting needs.
    My Sawstop priced out at $3K + tax + $80 for local delivery. Depending on your cutting needs, you can save $400 with a 1 3/4 horse version. I also went with Grizzly “Bear Crawl” 4 swivel wheel lockable base at $119 vs Sawstop $300.

I am 75 and I just sold my General 350 after 35 good years of use. The only problem I had is I changed the belts once. I just bit the bullet and bought the 3 HP professional Saw Stop table saw. I went out to lunch the other day ( spaced) off and drove past my exit from the four lane. I don't have a problem, I was just in a conversation and wasn't paying attention. Sound familiar, had to drive another 1/2 mile to get off. My point is if I can do it driving I can do it when using a table saw. I bought it purely for the safety reasons.

I can honestly say that the Saw Stop is a quality machine. I am more than pleased with the saw and do not feel that I lost anything when I sold the General. I mention the General because you did. I have found that the pain of the cost goes away rather quickly when the saw is up and running. I would recommend the Saw Stop in a heart beat to anyone, especially if you are up in years
    Tom

I am 67 and bought my SawStop ICS 5hp 7 years ago. I enjoy the quality of how it is built and how smooth it runs
    However as I have more problems remembering things and yesterday drove past an exit while explaining to my granddaughter about a couple of the businesses there. i definitely am glad I bought it as I know one day I will trip it being forgetful, careless, whatever label you want to use. Maybe another 5-10 years but it will happen sometime before I hang the tools up
    Ron

Blog Entries
    I know it is difficult when you get a blizzard of "get a Saw Stop" responses. However, the saws you list versus the saw you have only offer minor improvements IMHO. One or more of these improvements may be important to you. They will do things in a little more refined way and setup will be a little more elegant. If that is worth the $2k then go for it; you've earned it ;-)

I had a hybrid that I was perfectly happy with. I got a good price on a 3HP PCS Saw Stop and so grabbed it. This was some years ago but, the machine is a step above similarly priced saws safety feature or not. Going an extra $1000 to $1500 beyond what you intend to spend can be a show stopper. Unless the Ridgid is really giving you a problem that the new saw will solve wonderfully I would be hard pressed to part with that much cash for such a small step. So there's one fool's opinion to factor in to your decision process ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have a Ridgid saw and have cut 6/4 material well and accurately with it. I am almost 78 yo and have a right hand (push-stick hand) tremor as well as some imbalance. While I use the guard, a push stick, and caution, I'm sure I am more susceptible to injury. With my shop location requiring a basement delivery over unpaved ground and no one to help me off load and set up, I have reconciled myself to the occasional use of the Ridgid with as much use of handsaw and handplane for stock prep as is practical. If you replace that saw, get the SawStop.

I sold my SawStop contractor's saw a few years ago for a good, fair price. I'm sure I'm not the only one to ever sell one.

If money is an object, I'd look at the used market for SawStop PCS. There must be some out there, though it might not be an easy find.

Great saw, and, of course, there's the safety factor. I'm not going to launch into a SawStop ad. My feelings are well known on the topic.

In any case, good luck, enjoy the hobby, and stay safe.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Blog Entries