Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I hate having to replace expensive items I lost!

I hate having to replace expensive items I lost!

I bought a Fluke 177 multimeter a few months ago. I last used it maybe six weeks ago and now I can't find it. It sucks that I have to spend another $300 on another new one since I lost it. The good news is that Amazon can deliver a new one tomorrow. (The reason I bought the Fluke 177 is because it is at least assembled in the USA.)

With my luck I'll find the old one a day or two after I get the new one.

Blog Entries
    My shop may look a mess, but there is a place for everything and one of my main functions is to keep things not being used in their proper place.

Most often something of mine gets temporarily lost when it seems like another place might be a better place to stow it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Yes, I should have places for everything, but I don't. I need to do a major cleanup and organization that will probably take me all winter to do. I bought and assembled a nice set of shelves a month or two ago, but I haven't put a single thing on the shelves yet.

I've found the best way to find such a loss is to buy another one. While deciding where to store the new one, after you make a decision, and are going to put it there, that's where the other one will be. Save the box, and receipt for the "replacement".

Blog Entries
    In the good naturedly spirit of one-up-man-ship I lost my cyclone blower/motor/switch assembly. Things have been shuffled around in order to make do while building the new shop and it got buried at the front of a trailer on the property.

New Shop (273).jpg

Just found it this morning after some serious digging because I am almost ready for the wiring in the DC shed. I wonn't share how many places I looked before I found it; it's just too embarrassing
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I've found the best way to find such a loss is to buy another one.....

Could not have said it any better. Luckily for me it's caulking guns, so at least they're cheap!!!
    A wannabe woodworker!

Caulking guns, now I only buy the ones with a 180 degree bend in the rear of the push rod. That way they hang from a ladder or a nail for storage. Not so much with a 89 degree bend.
    BILL D.

I’ve found that if I look everywhere I think it may be three times I often find it the third time.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I have at least a dozen multimeters. Most are the Harbor Freight/ Radio Shack type (cheap). I found that I would loose them and find them months or years later. I also have two Fluke 89 meters, one I bought new and the other I got for too cheap to pass up at an auction. One is kept in the shop and one in the garage. On occasion I can't find one of them but the other is always where it should be. I find that the expensive tools I'm much better keeping track of and returning to where I store it. What bothers me is that at that same auction they had a like new fluke 190 scope meter that sold for $300 that I passed on.

Guaranteed you will find the old one after you buy the new one, just hope it is within the 30 day return period for Amazon . Here's a tip, once you find the old one, put it back in the first place you looked, chances are next time you look for it that's where you will look first again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Yes, I should have places for everything, but I don't. I need to do a major cleanup and organization that will probably take me all winter to do. I bought and assembled a nice set of shelves a month or two ago, but I haven't put a single thing on the shelves yet.
    Instead of waiting until winter to do it all at once. It might go better if you do a little each time you are in your work area.

My plumbing tools are kept in one drawer. Electric specific items in another. My screwdrivers are mostly in two drawers. Hinged tools (pliers, scissors and such) are kept in another drawer. Boring bits are in three drawers and more boxes depending on their types and sizes.

It might be easy to start with the shelves. This will help to clear up the items that are laying about.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

(The reason I bought the Fluke 177 is because it is at least assembled in the USA.)

Kudos to you, I too look hard for Made In USA!!

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

I found the multimeter before buying another one! I was thinking that I may have had it in my car at some point in the past month or so. I had cleaned out my car a few weeks ago and put everything in a box. I checked the box and the multimeter was in the bottom.

Earlier this afternoon I decided it really didn't make sense to buy another $300 multimeter because I would eventually find my good one. I was just going to go buy a cheapie to get me by.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Instead of waiting until winter to do it all at once. It might go better if you do a little each time you are in your work area.
    The list of outside projects I need to do is as long as my arm. I might spend some time cleaning when it rains, but there is limited time in Minnesota when the weather is nice outside.

Blog Entries
    I found the multimeter before buying another one!
    Good for you. When something of mine is missing a little thought session on where was it last seen or used leads me to it.

jtk