Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I hate having to replace expensive items I lost!

I didn't lose something, but I had something I forgot about and went out and bought anyway. I replaced the 3 belts on my little mtd riding mower, and they did not work right, because the mower is tempermental and only likes the OEM belts. But I had to spend 3 days trying to make the after market belts work, to no avail.

So I ordered a second set of belts being OEM, and replaced all of the bushings and cleaned up the pulleys to the variable speed drive. After spending 2 weeks trying to get the mower running, and finally succeeding, I was in the cellar and came upon a new set of OEM belts for the mtd mower that I had purchased many years ago and had never installed.

I guess it pays to be more organized. Hopefully 20 years from now I will remember I have the belts, and replace them if I am still ticking, that is.

I hate when I can't find something!

A few years ago, the wife was out of town and I was still working. I left a local hospital, drove to a really good hardware store and bought some small hardware items I needed for a current project in my shop. The next morning I went to the shop, began working on the project and finally reached the point where I needed the hardware I had bought the previous evening. 6 times I walked from the house to the shop (about 50' one way) and 6 times I got to the house to forget what I came to the house for. 6 times. When you enter our home from the carport, the backdoor opens into the dining area of our kitchen. Finally I set down at the dining room table with blue smoke rolling from my mouth along with the oil field learned, US Navy and US hospital reinforced profanity when I looked over and saw the items I couldn't remember and then remembered that's what I was searching for.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I hate when I can't find something!

A few years ago, the wife was out of town and I was still working. I left a local hospital, drove to a really good hardware store and bought some small hardware items I needed for a current project in my shop. The next morning I went to the shop, began working on the project and finally reached the point where I needed the hardware I had bought the previous evening. 6 times I walked from the house to the shop (about 50' one way) and 6 times I got to the house to forget what I came to the house for. 6 times. When you enter our home from the carport, the backdoor opens into the dining area of our kitchen. Finally I set down at the dining room table with blue smoke rolling from my mouth along with the oil field learned, US Navy and US hospital reinforced profanity when I looked over and saw the items I couldn't remember and then remembered that's what I was searching for.
    Ken, sounds like you need a "Senior Citizen GPS." Not only does it tell you where you are going, but what you are after when you get there. FYI, I spent the afternoon looking for some "misting heads" I bought over twenty years ago. Due to life and work changes, they were never used, so I know they are SOMEWHERE? in my shop. Quickest way I know to find them is order some more, which aren't very expensive ($2.25 each.)
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 07-09-2021 at 5:49 PM.

I also have a huge issue with not being able to find something I know I have in inventory somewhere. Most of the time I end up at the store buying another of whatever I have in stock. I hate losing 45 minutes of time along with the gas to drive the 20 mile round trip. At times the gas costs more than the cost of the part(s)!

Blog Entries
    I hate losing 45 minutes of time along with the gas to drive the 20 mile round trip. At times the gas costs more than the cost of the part(s)!
    My drive is a bit farther. That is one of my reasons for always buying extras of items that will likely be used like hinges, nuts and bolts.

Organizing it all starts with the next item you put away after using it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My drive is a bit farther. That is one of my reasons for always buying extras of items that will likely be used like hinges, nuts and bolts.

Organizing it all starts with the next item you put away after using it.
    You can't put something away if you don't have a regular home for it. That is part of needing to get organized. I keep doing major projects around my house and yard instead of taking the time to get organized.

I have a collection of nuts and bolts all neatly labeled in Durham boxes/drawers.

Boy do I feel your pain Ken. I spent more time looking for something I had just laid down in the garage while working on the lawn tractor then I did fixing the lawn tractor. And the number of trips to the house, down into the cellar and back was too many times to count.
    Found myself asking the Lord above for help finding something I misplaced, and then graciously thanking him when I found it 15 minutes later.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Ken, sounds like you need a "Senior Citizen GPS." Not only does it tell you where you are going, but what you are after when you get there. FYI, I spent the afternoon looking for some "misting heads" I bought over twenty years ago. Due to life and work changes, they were never used, so I know they are SOMEWHERE? in my shop. Quickest way I know to find them is order some more, which aren't very expensive ($2.25 each.)

Which means the old misting heads will show up 3 days after installing the new ones!

As I get older, I find myself in this situation more and more. Today, it was a box of Lamp parts that disappeared while I went out to get a new plug (and a burrito). Searched the shop three times, and finally resorted to heavenly help as suggested by Michael above.

A few minutes later it materialized. As usual, in the last place I looked. I had set it in my little office as I walked through to water my petree.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I lost an impact driver a couple of years ago. I thought I had taken it to work, left it under my desk and someone had gotten it. I waited for about 2 months and it never showed. So I ordered a replacement. One week later I found the first one under a pile of stuff in my garage. Now I have 2 impact drivers.

I worry about when I get older and go to the hardware store or home center, and can't remember what I went for, so I buy a whole bunch of stuff I thought I needed but already have, just can't find or remember.

Derek

I would be happy if I could remember the 2-3 items I went to the store for, when I get in the store. I swear they put something near the door that causes me to forget why I'm there.

Blog Entries
    As I get older, I find myself in this situation more and more. Today, it was a box of Lamp parts that disappeared while I went out to get a new plug (and a burrito).
    I ordered a replacement. One week later I found the first one under a pile of stuff in my garage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clifford McGuire View Post
    I would be happy if I could remember the 2-3 items I went to the store for, when I get in the store. I swear they put something near the door that causes me to forget why I'm there.
    Because of a propensity to misplace things one of my earliest learned abilities was learning to mentally retrace my steps. It has helped me find many things set down for a moment to take care of something else. The mind can be trained to do this. Even when something hasn't been misplaced. While relaxing, think about where you were and what you did during part of the day. Start taking notice of things. Often my misplaced item can be found by knowing what was around it. Even if something has been set on top of it.

Another learned habit is to put things away when done with them. My wife has driven me crazy borrowing a tool and then leaving wherever she was done using it. Then six weeks later she has no idea where she was using it. At least now she doesn't usually leave them outside somewhere. Even though my shop may look like a disorganized mess items are kept in particular places. Different kinds of fasteners even have there own places. If an electrical component is needed it is with similar electrical parts.

The only memory cure for me is to make a list. Then one has to remember to not only take the list, but remember to check it. (Candy, the wife, often makes a grocery list and leaves it on the kitchen counter.)

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Because of a propensity to misplace things one of my earliest learned abilities was learning to mentally retrace my steps. It has helped me find many things set down for a moment to take care of something else. The mind can be trained to do this. Even when something hasn't been misplaced. While relaxing, think about where you were and what you did during part of the day. Start taking notice of things. Often my misplaced item can be found by knowing what was around it. Even if something has been set on top of it.
    When I found my multimeter I was thinking about where I might have used it last. I vaguely recalled I might have had it in the car for some reason. I checked the car and not there, but I remembered I had cleaned out the car and put everything in a box. The multimeter was in the bottom of that box.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    When I found my multimeter I was thinking about where I might have used it last. I vaguely recalled I might have had it in the car for some reason. I checked the car and not there, but I remembered I had cleaned out the car and put everything in a box. The multimeter was in the bottom of that box.
    That is the power of using your mind.

jtk

I was going to add the magnet is strong on the fluke stuff maybe it is stuck in the last place you put it. Glad you found it. I bought a nice fluke set for HVAC about 5 years ago. I am not really on the service end but every once in a while im thrown into it. I probably wouldn't have went so pricey for the occasional readings if i wasn't reimbursed though