Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Back Order has been Back Ordered :(

Got lucky as I've been wanting a lathe and found a Laguna 1836 actually in stock, had it in 5 days. Things go in and out quickly, have to be ready to jump on it.

Still waiting on a couple of platform ladders I bought on a Black Friday sale.

FWIW - I have my first colonoscopy coming up in a couple of weeks, oh joy! On my last doctor visit, it was recommended that I pick up the prep well in advance in case they ran out. Apparently, tools and building materials aren't all that's in short supply these days :/

4. Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ontko View Post
    FWIW - I have my first colonoscopy coming up in a couple of weeks, oh joy! On my last doctor visit, it was recommended that I pick up the prep well in advance in case they ran out. Apparently, tools and building materials aren't all that's in short supply these days :/
    The prep is the worst of it. I had them knock me out and remember nothing about the procedure. Go to youtube and search for Billy Connolly colonoscopy

Would you be interested in a 7C with a little chunk missing from the base side? Great user, but recently found a perfect one so the user gets upgraded.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Would you be interested in a 7C with a little chunk missing from the base side? Great user, but recently found a perfect one so the user gets upgraded.

Thanks for the offer, Richard. But I appear to have found a direct replacement for the one that's on a 6-month back order.

A big thanks to all those who reached out in response to my post in the SMC Classifieds. And a big thanks as well to John Jordan for suggesting I post there in the first place!

I had the same thing happen with Woodcraft. I ordered a WR 5½ which was supposed to come in at the end of this month.
    Checked the other day and it's been moved out until the middle of December.
    I lucked onto a forum member who had one for sale, so I cancelled and bought his.
    Of course I've always been a fan of instant gratification.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Coolidge View Post
    The prep is the worst of it. I had them knock me out and remember nothing about the procedure. Go to youtube and search for Billy Connolly colonoscopy
    +1, from a guy who has anesthetized >30,000 patients for them. They truly save lives. Lots of them. If it's your time to get one, guzzle the prep (which sucks), crap your brains out, then go in and possibly save your life. The procedure is simple. You get hooked up to a bunch of monitors, then lights out, lights back on again, fart your brains out, then go home. Easy-peasy.

Now imagine if you do your prep and find out your GI doctor is back-ordered for months.

Who know, everything else seems back-ordered.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Here's a weird backorder occurrence - I get emails from a certain company with deals on 'overstock' yet when I click through to see if the price is worth it, I get a ship date of 2-3 months out. How is this 'overstock' that must be cleared if....it's backordered??

Quote Originally Posted by William Chain View Post
    Here's a weird backorder occurrence - I get emails from a certain company with deals on 'overstock' yet when I click through to see if the price is worth it, I get a ship date of 2-3 months out. How is this 'overstock' that must be cleared if....it's backordered??
    I have wondered the same about that site.
    BTW, I have found that Lee Valley usually beats their b/o dates but I have not purchased much in the last month or 2 that was not in stock. I think most would agree that they have great customer service.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Quote Originally Posted by William Chain View Post
    The product may very well be in "overstock" status...but it may be physically located elsewhere with a transportation bottleneck between there and you. A lot of freight is sitting waiting to ship or somewhere in the pathway waiting for a ship to get unloaded or transportation from there to be available, etc.

-----

'Glad you found a solution, Mike!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I feel the pain. My Veritas cabinet scraper, ordered in March, was first scheduled for June, then July, now September. I've gotten by without one for 40+ years, a few more months won't be a problem, but I think we all hate waiting once we've hit the buy button!
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Backorders are the norm now because we don't make much that's completely done with local (USA) materials and production. Raw materials might be from any one of many cheap labor (and/or lax pollution/safety law) countries and not available due to Covid shut down mines or foundries or due to lack of shipping containers to fill with offshore motors, circuit boards or other bits needed to assemble a tool. Perhaps a complete foreign made item is sitting in a ship off the port of LA waiting for a slot to come into port and unload. Items are expected and then not unloaded when promised - so B.O. date changes. Then there's no trucks (or trucks without a live breathing truckers in the cab) available meeting California's very strict smog requirements to pick up the load at the port. No old stinky trucks allowed. All this all at the same time that companies are using just in time stocking and manufacturing to reduce inventory tax costs and to increase profits. So nothing stocked and nothing being made until there's demand will be the norm for a long time. OBTW, don't even think about just fixing up an old tool, again no spare parts being stocked or perhaps even being made, once an item is obsoleted by the maker. A throw away society doesn't fix things.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    -----

'Glad you found a solution, Mike!
    Me too Thanks!

Hope you're still making progress in the 'new' shop. I haven't been spending as much time here recently as in the past, so I guess I've got some catching up to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Coolidge View Post
    My recent Woodcraft orders...

Powermatic 15HH planer ordered 2/21, shipped 4/16 (8 weeks)
    Powermatic PM1500 bandsaw ordered 2/28, shipped 6/16 (15 weeks)
    Powermatic PM2820EVS drill press ordered 4/18, shipped 6/30 (10 weeks)
    I feel your pain... Ordered a Supermax 25-50 Drum Sander in May...expected ship was August...Checked again in June expected ship slid to October... At some point this month I'll have the guts to ask Woodcraft the current expected ship date.