Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back Order has been Back Ordered :(

Back Order has been Back Ordered :(

Thought I'd post a quick rant in case someone out here happens to have a spare #7 bench plane they'd be willing to part with

I've had the V3: WoodRiver #7 jointer plane on order from WoodCraft for the past 2-1/2 months and called today to find out if the targeted 7/30 back order date was still happening. Turns out that it's been pushed out (back-back ordered) until 10/31/2021. Ouch!!

Does anyone have any insights into other suppliers that might have an actual inventory?

I cannot contribute anything to this conversation except to add that, for better or worse, this is the new normal. The whole supply chain is sideways now and everyone in the manufacturing industry is feeling it. What I see, from the supplier side of things, is that there are two factors happening. The first is shortage of raw materials. It is hard to source out raw materials from anyplace "but" east Asia and as we all know, they were hit the hardest by covid. The second factor is the Logistics side of things. Everything is taking 2X-3X as long to get anywhere. Not enough drivers, not enough personnel in the ports, etc. This is as hands-tied a situation as there has ever been. Just my observations.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Erik,

Sadly, I agree on this being the new status quo. At least for the near term. Another reason Lie-Nielsen is such a value to have in the U.S. is that they still (?) do their own foundry work. Unfortunately, they're still just as susceptible to supply and material shortages.

Literally everything I've ordered in the past few months has been backordered, then that backorder was delayed (I probably should just call woodcraft and cancel the router I ordered, come to think of that).

I don't see this being anything other than the status quo for the next year, or two.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Yep, I picked a bad time to sell my big tools and shift over to being a Neander :/

It could be worse, you could be talking mountain bikes (or just bikes in general)
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I was reading how a number of independent truckers found that between the high cost of operating and maintaining their trucks and insurance made it wiser to stay on unemployment. It's going to take time before the world gets back to normal (or a new normal). There's just so many pieces that had fit together to make our economy work that people just never really thought much about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    I was reading how a number of independent truckers found that between the high cost of operating and maintaining their trucks and insurance made it wiser to stay on unemployment. It's going to take time before the world gets back to normal (or a new normal). There's just so many pieces that had fit together to make our economy work that people just never really thought much about it.

You'd think those that are sitting on top of billions would see fit to put a little seed money back into the economy to help prime the pump. But I guess the lure of going to Pluto seems a much more realistic objective :/

It's a bit more complicated, much of the raw materials are processed by migrant workers.. who currently can't migrate (unlike coconuts).

And that's the easy bit.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    It's a bit more complicated, much of the raw materials are processed by migrant workers.. who currently can't migrate (unlike coconuts).

And that's the easy bit.
    Yeah, since the swallows that carry the coconuts are not regulated in their travels, coconuts should be in good supply!!
    earl

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    Yeah, since the swallows that carry the coconuts are not regulated in their travels, coconuts should be in good supply!!
    earl
    LOL - they grip them by the husks

12. My recent Woodcraft orders...

Powermatic 15HH planer ordered 2/21, shipped 4/16 (8 weeks)
    Powermatic PM1500 bandsaw ordered 2/28, shipped 6/16 (15 weeks)
    Powermatic PM2820EVS drill press ordered 4/18, shipped 6/30 (10 weeks)

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    It could be worse, you could be talking mountain bikes (or just bikes in general)
    Even dogs are back-ordered.
    Some professional breeders that I have contacted are reserved on litters into 2022 and even some out to 2023. Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ontko View Post
    Thought I'd post a quick rant in case someone out here happens to have a spare #7 bench plane they'd be willing to part with
    If you hope to buy one from a forum member this should be posted on Classifieds with "WTB" or "Wanted to buy" in the title.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    If you hope to buy one from a forum member this should be posted on Classifieds with "WTB" or "Wanted to buy" in the title.
    Thank you, John. I was half joking when I wrote that, but now I'm beginning to think it might be my best or only way to find a jointer before the end of the year.