Thread: Slats for bed

Slats for bed

I'm making a bed similar in style to the modern bed frame shown by Rockler (https://www.rockler.com/build/bedframe), but king size. The frame is sapele.

With this design, I don't want to need a box spring. There will be lengthwise middle bar with two legs for additional support. Given that, what's recommended for wood/dimensions for breadth-wise support slats to actually hold the mattress?

Also, how wide should the lip on the sides be to hold the slats? I assume 1" is plenty.
    Last edited by Aaron Liebling; 07-06-2021 at 5:41 PM.

I’d check with your mattress manufacturer. You may void the warranty if it is not either on a box spring/foundation or solid surface. I’d do it more like a platform bed and make a solid foundation.

I use the 3/4 x 3” or 4” spruce from a builders supply for the slats. Space them 10” or so apart. On King beds I use a 2x4 down the center with two legs. The 1” lip will do fine. I screw a couple of the slats down to the side lip near the center of the bed to prevent bowing.
    Last edited by Charlie Jones; 07-10-2021 at 7:47 PM.
    Charlie Jones

Thanks Charlie, that's pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

Phil: Hadn't even considered that the mattress might not like slats versus a boxspring (it's on a boxspring now). It's memory foam and the consensus on this mattress seems to be that it will be fine on slats. The wife very specifically doesn't want a boxspring anymore as she wants the lower profile of a platform bed.

Thanks for the useful thoughts!

Aaron

I’m in the mattress business. Not sure what brand you have, but TempurPedic and any other memory foam based manufacturer I’ve worked with would void the warranty if it’s not on a solid surface. It would be fine to put a 3/4 sheet of ply over the slats. Companies also make thin foundations…2” or less.

Thanks, Phil. Easy enough to do!