Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First post: setting up a new shop and a resaw blade question

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PAUL A DALEN View Post
    I still need a drill press, but I'm getting concerned about the cost.
    Follow up comment. Drill presses are apparently an incredible challenge for makers to bring to market without having a lot of the quality stripped off between design and manufacture. I have been running a 17" Delta for nearly 20 years because I cannot find anything enough better under $2000 to make me switch. I really want a better drill press but you have to break $1500 today before anything even gets close.

My point is that since you can't get a very good one for under $1500, buy a decent one for half of that and spend some money on quality cutters. Using high quality drill bits is very much like the first time you used a really sharp chisel or a well tuned hand plane . . . or a decent jig saw for that matter ;-). The value of this advice will vary with how much work you do on a DP. I use one quite a bit but, not enough to spend what a entry level cabinet saw costs on one. YMMV.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-16-2021 at 3:16 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

2. Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I cannot find anything enough better under $2000 to make me switch.
    Agree, I didn't see much in the new category that was better than the many used drill presses for sale until I got to the Powermatic 20 inch DC motor variable speed gear drive (low, high) PM2820EVS. It also had some innovative features for wood working, table tilts 90 both left and right. Cast iron table insert that can be removed for other clamp tables, spindle sanding, etc. I ordered mine in April for $1,999 with free shipping.

dp01.jpg

dp04.jpg

dp02.jpg

I feel that a used drillpress is seldom very worn. At most new bearings for the spindle and maybe the motor. If you get a old three phase unit it will be good quality and better then most sold today. Add a $150 VFd and run it from regular 120 or 240 volt single phase giving you variable speed, instant reverse, power brakes etc.
    On a drill press pay attention to the stroke length. Walker Turner is a great old brand but not the 15" model just the 20 inch model. They became delta/rockwell and the name disappeared but not the dp.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by PAUL A DALEN View Post
    Once the house is put together and the SawStop, bandsaw, drill press, and assorted implements of destruction are functional I am building a wall between the 2 car and 1 car stalls.
    Wall space is valuable and that would give you more. Floor space is also valuable and a permanent wall would give you less because you would then be unable to slide machines into that 3rd space for the day or project duration. Tough choice.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Curt Putnam View Post
    Wall space is valuable and that would give you more. Floor space is also valuable and a permanent wall would give you less because you would then be unable to slide machines into that 3rd space for the day or project duration. Tough choice.
    Agree it's a coin toss. Though depends on how he's going to use that 3rd bay. If he's going to park a vehicle there I'd wall it off to keep the shop dust out. I have my tractor parked in my 3rd bay so it matters not.

+1
    I agree. It's near impossible to find a new drill press not made in China. Drill presses are simple. An older used Delta / Rockwell / Walker Turner, much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I feel that a used drillpress is seldom very worn. At most new bearings for the spindle and maybe the motor. If you get a old three phase unit it will be good quality and better then most sold today. Add a $150 VFd and run it from regular 120 or 240 volt single phase giving you variable speed, instant reverse, power brakes etc.
    On a drill press pay attention to the stroke length. Walker Turner is a great old brand but not the 15" model just the 20 inch model. They became delta/rockwell and the name disappeared but not the dp.
    Bill D
    JonathanJungDesign.com