Thread: Craftsman table saw blade alignment

Craftsman table saw blade alignment

To all woodworkers who have table saws:
    I have a 1965 Sears Craftsman 10" contractors table saw, model number 113. 29901.
    I've posted several questions regarding this saw relating to upgrade and alignment.
    I'm attempting to more precisely align the blade to the miter groove. I've installed a PALS kit, and from responses of members of this community have learned that all trunnion bracket bolts must be loosened to perform the alignment. The brackets on this model have 3 front and 3 rear bolts.
    My question is that I don't know what the function of the clamp screw/handle on the front of the saw cabinet is. The manual of this model saw states that all 6 bolts must be loosened to perform the alignment after the clamp screw is tightened. I don't know what the screw tightens and how it is involved in the alignment process. Any clarification and guidance would be appreciated.
    As always, thanks for your generous comments and guidance!!!
    Mark Mrsa

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Mrsa View Post
    My question is that I don't know what the function of the clamp screw/handle on the front of the saw cabinet is.
    You may be referring to the bevel lock lever shown here in the yellow circle?

Bevel lock.jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-04-2021 at 10:57 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn,
    That appears to be the handle on my Craftsman table saw. I cann't if your picture is of a Craftsman saw though.
    Anyway, the Craftsmans model does not describe it as a bevel lock clamp screw and is not descriptive as to why the screw need to be tightened prior to aligning the blade parrallel to the miter guage.
    Your thoughts?
    Thanks for responding!!
    Mark

Blog Entries
    My saw is a Craftsman 113.27520. The handle is the spring loaded type that you can push in or pull out to disengage the actual handle to put it in an optimal position for loosening or tightening. You want that handle tight except when changing the blade tilt. Once the blade is at 45*, 90* or anywhere else you want it you tighten that mechanism. This means you would want it tight when adjusting the trunnions during alignment.

Back the PALs off and loosen all trunnion bolts. Slide the whole trunnion to the extreme right (for this example). This is now the 'base' position. Finger tighten all bolts to remove any slop between the trunnion and the table top. Tighten one corner bolt that a PAL does NOT contact until it is pretty snug; let's say it's the right front.

Bring your PALs into play and adjust the trunnions which will pivot on the front right bolt that you snugged down tight enough to provide this function. If the trunnions are going farther and farther OUT of alignment, back everything off and slide the entire trunnion to the left and repeat the process using the left front bolt as the pivot point.

Make sense?

P.s. the 113. indicates that the saw is made by Emerson Electric. Sears had many makers ad there are 3 digit codes to go with them. The Emerson saws were some of their better machines for the home owner.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-04-2021 at 2:22 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler