Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Browsers??

Browsers??

Right now I am using Google Chrome. Having some funky happenings and was thinking of changing browsers. So question is what is a good reliable browser these days?? How hard is it to switch browsers?? Had IE. Thanks.
    Lately I have gone to a few sites and tried opening them and they are not allowing me to. Also some sites are not allowing me to see photos within the site. Is this a browser problem??

Is it a good idea to leave third party browser extensions box clicked as yes or should I disable this?? What would happen if I do disable?? Do I lose anything??
    Last edited by John Terefenko; 07-04-2021 at 1:09 AM.
    John T.

I use the Brave browser. Chrome engine, but doesn't track things unless you allow it to. Also blocks ads unless you tell it not too. I think most Chrome add-ons are compatible, but not sure because I don't have a lot of them. I've been pleased with it. Have used it for about 2 years now.
    It's called golf because all the other 4-letter words were taken

Sometimes your ad and popup blockers will also block desired content.

I use Safari most of the time, Chrome sometimes. I don't think there's much difference between browsers these days. I use a few extensions like Ad Block Pro and my password vault that I wouldn't way to be without.

Been using Firefox for many years and like it...

I too use Firefox, have for years. I have noticed lately though that some sites like it better if I go there via private window or enable trouble shooting mode under the help menu on Firefox Linux. Privacy mode/Trouble shooting disables extensions and add-ons. I keep a Chromium based browser (Vivaldi in my case) as a 2nd option. I try to minimize my exposure to Google, they didn't get super rich by respecting their users privacy. I think that there is no such thing as free. There's always a price to pay, that price may or may not have a $ sign in front of it.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 07-04-2021 at 8:57 AM.

Blog Entries
    Another Firefox preference here but, I keep a few browsers on my main machine. Some sites only function fully with certain browsers. If you regularly use one of those and it requires your less-than-favorite browser, install the browser they require and use it for that site. Some subject specific research, government and financial sites can be fussy for example.

Your specific "funky happenings" would drive your preference. Extensions can help smooth out your web use if things like ads or useless Pinterest search results are bothering you. Many extensions are written for only a few browsers so your desire to use something specific like grey scaling or black listing may drive your decision.

Firefox has been my main browser for the last several years. There is also a comfort in knowing where the pot holes are in the road so to speak. I know how to get FF to do what I want so it is comfortable for me right now. I have Edge and Chrome currently loaded as well. Chrome works better with a particular site I visit simply because they cannot seem to play nice with FF's security settings. This would be an example of a simple solution to a situation you cannot natively control . . . www.Blah-Blah.com requires or "works best with" Edge? Use it for that site.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Sometimes your ad and popup blockers will also block desired content.
    And a growing number of sites can detect the ad-blocker and stop you from proceeding unless you disable it.
    File that under "take business elsewhere".
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Blog Entries
    I've used Chrome for many years, but am considering giving the new Edge a test drive. As far as ads go, I generally don't mind putting up with them because that's what pays the bills for all the free content.

I've used Firfox for years but use Chrome half the time. Firefox isn't what it use to be. Everyday I get a popup telling me that a newer version is out with Firefox. There's no way to turn it off. I really wish when they did upgrades they would offer the option of having the same layout as the previous version. Once I find the options I like I want to keep them.

Another Brave user here. 6 months in and I like it a lot.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

I tried firefox and did not like it and now wanted to switch back to chrome but it keeps going back to IE. How do I switch back to chrome?? I deleted it and reinstalled. Not very good with computers.
    John T.

Used Firefox for ages. Ad blockers are off. Never any surprises that way, and sometimes I actually check out and buy from the ads...

--and how does any browser go back to IE? My POS win10 laptop won't even run it, it's Edge or nothing...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Used Firefox for ages. Ad blockers are off. Never any surprises that way, and sometimes I actually check out and buy from the ads...

--and how does any browser go back to IE? My POS win10 laptop won't even run it, it's Edge or nothing...
    old computer with XP everything is messed up now and I can not do a restore either.

I got it back to old again. Thank you. I will play around some more at a later date.
    Last edited by John Terefenko; 07-04-2021 at 1:46 PM.
    John T.

Blog Entries
    My XP recall is kaput but this article should get you there.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    My machine runs two browsers, often at the same time.

Some sites do not work well with Safari others do not like Chrome. If something isn't working right, the URL is copied and pasted into the other browser and that usually fixes the problem.

Firefox is on my machine but it doesn't seem to play nice with much of anything.

Update: Just tried Firefox and decided to remove it from my dock.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 07-05-2021 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Update:
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)