Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Browsers??

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    old computer with XP everything is messed up now and I can not do a restore either.

I got it back to old again. Thank you. I will play around some more at a later date.
    You really should look at upgrading from XP. It's been unsupported by MS for years & is now very unsecure. You'd be surprised by what will run XP. I have a 14 year old laptop that runs way better on Win 10 than it ever did on Win XP. In fact, I just installed an SSD on it & it goes from fully powered off to the desktop in 13 seconds now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    You really should look at upgrading from XP. It's been unsupported by MS for years & is now very unsecure. You'd be surprised by what will run XP. I have a 14 year old laptop that runs way better on Win 10 than it ever did on Win XP. In fact, I just installed an SSD on it & it goes from fully powered off to the desktop in 13 seconds now.

Speaking to that, Win 10 was very hardware picky when first rolled out. I have a 2005 Pentium D that runs it fine and a 2014 laptop that will not. I think this has smoothed out some but, since retiring I do not see near the variation of machines I used to . . . it's nice BTW ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Isn't windows 12 going to be rolled out soon?? All money making schemes.
    John T.

That's Windows 11, not 12. The big difference in hardware is that the hardware has to have a Trusted Platform Module. A lot of computers won't be able to run Win 11.

No announcement on price, may be a free upgrade from Win 10.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    That's Windows 11, not 12. The big difference in hardware is that the hardware has to have a Trusted Platform Module. A lot of computers won't be able to run Win 11.
    They tried requiring TPM1.2 on Win8.1, got a LOT of push-back, and made it optional. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened with Win11, given that the TPM2.0 spec is barely two years old.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    They tried requiring TPM1.2 on Win8.1, got a LOT of push-back, and made it optional. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened with Win11, given that the TPM2.0 spec is barely two years old.
    The language in many public agency contracts for new equipment is it has to be proven for at least five years in actual use.

That is one reason why a lot of government systems seem antiquated.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post

No announcement on price, may be a free upgrade from Win 10.

Mike
    I am reading it is windows 12 and not 11. No 11.
    John T.

Blog Entries
    I am reading it is windows 12 and not 11. No 11.
    Windows 11 is the next version, though that isn't its official name yet.

Right now I am using Google Chrome. Having some funky happenings and was thinking of changing browsers. So question is what is a good reliable browser these days?? How hard is it to switch browsers?? Had IE. Thanks.
    Lately I have gone to a few sites and tried opening them and they are not allowing me to. Also some sites are not allowing me to see photos within the site. Is this a browser problem??

Is it a good idea to leave third party browser extensions box clicked as yes or should I disable this?? What would happen if I do disable?? Do I lose anything??
    My primary browser is Firefox and fallback is Chrome. Both browsers are equally good. It comes down to interface and any specific website compatibility problems.

Speaking to that, Win 10 was very hardware picky when first rolled out. I have a 2005 Pentium D that runs it fine and a 2014 laptop that will not. I think this has smoothed out some but, since retiring I do not see near the variation of machines I used to . . . it's nice BTW ;-)
    When I retired back in 2011, I vowed I would forget at least one computer related thing every day.
    It's working out well and I'm so happy I can't even begin to tell people what's wrong with their computers anymore!
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    When I retired back in 2011, I vowed I would forget at least one computer related thing every day.It's working out well and I'm so happy I can't even begin to tell people what's wrong with their computers anymore!
    LOL - excellent plan.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Last time I checked, Microsoft was a for profit company, so yes they introduce new products to make money. Kinda how business works.

I recently had an issue with Chrome my usual browser. I tried to download a music file and the link wouldn't work, tried to download using Microsoft Edge and same result. Then tried Firefox and it downloaded immediately, no problem.

One trick to make Firefox play nice with some web sites. Open a window in troubleshooting mode. I'm not sure where that's found on Firefox Windows, it may be under "Tools". Firefox Linux it's under Help. Another way to accomplish the same thing (I think) is to use Firefox's privacy mode. If you want the old style menu, click on the 'hamburger' menu then More Tools then Customize Toolbar. Look at the bottom of the page under Toolbars.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 07-13-2021 at 8:07 AM.