Thread: Potting Table

Potting Table

Hello All,
    My wife is an avid gardener and put in her request for a potting table, so of course I built one for her. While not the usual fine furniture posted here, some of you might find it interesting. At least you get to see part of her beautiful garden

It’s made of redwood, which is the go to lumber in California for outdoor projects. The problem can be finding decent quality without paying steep prices for clear heart lumber. The big box stores carry a lot of redwood, but it’s usually low quality construction grade, often still wet. After searching many sources, I have found good quality and value at Lowes. They sell kiln dried redwood, and if you purchase 2x6 stock, it’s almost always much better quality than 2x4’s.

Joints were assembled with the Dowelmax and Tightbond 3, my usual method for strong, accurate joinery. Rubber feet were added to keep moisture from wicking up though the legs. I have decided not to finish this table, and let it acquire the soft gray patina of weathered redwood. This table will get a lot of abuse from dirt, water, and the elements, so any finish would have to be renewed often. Thanks for looking!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice! I love working with redwood, but it's stupid expensive out here in Ohio. Made some chaise lounges out of it 30 years ago or more, and they are still holding up well. I'm sure your wife will love using it.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Very nice, Tim. And yes, her garden looks spectacular. Growing up in Central Valley CA, I miss readily available redwood, and most off all, fresh fruit. But, that’s way off subject. I’m sure she’ll enjoy that potting table for a long time to come.

Thanks guys! For those of you that are married, I’m sure you know it never hurts to score some points with the wife :-)

That should get you some good points. Well done.
    Charlie Jones

Nice tables, the only problem is that you have opened a can of worms that can never be closed.

Really nice work...they turned out great. But since you opened the door a little, I think it would be appropriate to share a few more pictures of what looks to be an awesome garden!!!
    A wannabe woodworker!

Quote Originally Posted by David Lageman View Post
    Really nice work...they turned out great. But since you opened the door a little, I think it would be appropriate to share a few more pictures of what looks to be an awesome garden!!!
    Here you go David, this is the view from our bedroom window. I built the pathway, helped her with the first anchor cherry trees, and rebuilt the fences, but after that it’s her baby. My wife has spent countless hours designing and maintaining her garden, with her new emphasis on succulents. If you think we spend a lot on tools, you should see some of the prices she pays for some of these!

We live in San Francisco, so this little oasis can be a nice getaway from the insane policies and politics that have allowed a once beautiful city to become a mess. Of course for most of us on this forum, the shop is an even better getaway.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Andrews View Post
    Here you go David, this is the view from our bedroom window. I built the pathway, helped her with the first anchor cherry trees, and rebuilt the fences, but after that it’s her baby. My wife has spent countless hours designing and maintaining her garden, with her new emphasis on succulents. If you think we spend a lot on tools, you should see some of the prices she pays for some of these!

We live in San Francisco, so this little oasis can be a nice getaway from the insane policies and politics that have allowed a once beautiful city to become a mess. Of course for most of us on this forum, the shop is an even better getaway.
    Wow...thanks for sharing Tim...that is a beautiful garden and it's rather obvious your bride has spent some time putting that together. Really nice spot to get away from things as you put it! Congrats to you both.
    A wannabe woodworker!