Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vapor barrier for concrete shop floor

Unless I’m not following, I would still use sleepers spaced 24” OC. Just laying foam on the concrete and covering with 3/4” ply or OSB I think you may have issue with machine weight.

throw a piece of foam down on your driveway and drive your heaviest vehicle on it. then throw a piece of osb on top of it and drive on that. you will stop worrying about this
    Ron

Ned, speaking from experience, you will have zero chances of compressing foam insulation with anything normally found in a shop. The osb spreads the load as well, so you are double protected. If I recall correctly, an Abraham's tank has something like 2 psi of down pressure. You won't hurt the foam. Charlie mentioned Advantech, Huber makes good stuff and it's a good recommendation. It has some moisture resistance built in, although in this case you are probably only worried about spills. I would not be afraid to use pretty much any tg subfloor product on this floor.

Thanks Steve, appreciate the advice --

Ned

Would laminate flooring work over 3/4 plywood? Has any one used it in a wood shop or is it too slippery with saw dust. Seems like this would help with machine weight.

Sorry I slipped a digit, you are correct. Even at 25 PSI though it's hard to imagine overloading the foam through subfloor and flooring unless you have some very heavy iron. Your ordinary 1000 lb machine will have feet that spread the load over a couple hundred hundred sq in getting you well below 10 PSI.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Elett View Post
    Would laminate flooring work over 3/4 plywood? Has any one used it in a wood shop or is it too slippery with saw dust. Seems like this would help with machine weight.
    Tim, you can use laminate over pretty much any solid, flat surface. Just install it correctly including any required padding, etc. These are usually "floating" floors and are easy to install. But you bring up a good point. Some laminate flooring products are pretty "slick" even without sawdust in the picture. So product selection is important...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I might have found a good deal on flooring, but not so much on 3/4 plywood!!
    😥

Hopefully, the price on sheet goods will head in a better direction soon...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...