Thread: Stupid Cookies ! Stupid Internet!

Stupid Cookies ! Stupid Internet!

Probably an old subject but still. You buy something online and then you get bombarded with ad's for something you just bought. You would think they could figure out you just bought it and aren't gonna buy another , at least for a while.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Probably an old subject but still. You buy something online and then you get bombarded with ad's for something you just bought. You would think they could figure out you just bought it and aren't gonna buy another , at least for a while.
    Can you just ignore the targeted ads?

I don't get them or if I do I've never noticed. Somehow I've trained myself to ignore ads to the point they are filtered out. I know there are ads on various screens but I don't even glance at them - I don't think I've noticed the words on an ad for years. Advertisers might not like that.

AdBlockPlus is free and takes care of the majority of the ads

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    AdBlockPlus is free and takes care of the majority of the ads

Yep. And you can whitelist any site you want. Like this one.

I've had adblock plus for years doesn't stop all of them. If you buy something from anyone you automatically except their cookies and then they target you.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    It can be embarrassing if your wife shops for lingerie.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

When I saw the subject of your thread I thought that maybe Stupid Cookies were the dessert equivalent of that age-old question "Did you eat Dumb Flakes for breakfast?"

I can understand the bombardment of ads when you click on an ad that looks interesting, but the constant spamming in my mailbox is from fine woodworking.
    I’m already a subscriber, why is the unintelligent algorithm dunning me with asks to subscribe? And all the offers, to which I have never succumbed before….. leave me alone.

Some full page adds cannot be ignored. On some of the news sites I get a full page add that must be Xed out before I can view the news articles. Safari with it's supposedly great blocking and adblock+ don't stop them. Frustrating.

I use Firefox with uBlock Origin and NoScript. NoScript is exclusive to Firefox I think though I'm sure other browsers have similar. The problem with too many blockers is that pages become non-functional. I do allow limited ads on pages I like because ads is how they stay in business. I just have certain ad slinging sites that I don't trust on never allow. It amazed me after installing NoScript how many 3rd party sites are running javascript on certain 'popular' sites. And if one of the ad servers is having a bad day it really slows the page down. The downside to NoScript is that I have to 'train' it what scripts to allow on each site or page. It does remember once told though. I find it nice to have some degree of control and 'the internet' is much faster.